LOS ANGELES — A man was arrested in connection with the kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl who was snatched from her San Fernando Valley home in the middle of the night and abandoned hours later, police said Monday.
Daniel Martinez, 29, was taken into custody Sunday in Northridge and booked for investigation of kidnapping. He was being held on $1 million bail.
Tobias Dustin Summers, a 30-year-old transient with a long criminal record, was identified by authorities over the weekend as a suspect in the case.
Police initially said they were looking for two suspects but noted they were focusing their efforts on Summers, who may have fled to the San Diego area and changed his appearance by shaving his head.
"We believe (Martinez) is the second person," police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He wouldn't provide details on the connection between the two men but said, "certainly they know each other."
Police suspect Martinez was present when the kidnapping occurred, but it was unclear if he was there throughout the crime.
The girl was abducted around 3 a.m. Wednesday and found about 12 hours later wandering near a Starbucks several miles away. She was barefoot, had bruises and scratches, and wasn't wearing the same clothes she had on when she vanished.
Investigators have said they believe the girl was driven around the San Fernando Valley in a couple of cars and taken to at least two locations, including a storage facility, before she was released.
The Los Angeles Times reported that law enforcement sources said the girl had been sexually assaulted.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic...
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Colleges add luxury touches to new football...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 41
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 25
- Police, protesters collide again in... 24
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 21
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 14