Doug Mainwaring, a homosexual man and co-founder of the National Capital Tea Party Patriots, published a piece about why he is opposed to same-sex marriage on The Witherspoon Institute's Public Discourse website last month.
Mainwaring recognized his attraction to the same sex at the age of 8 but later entered into a heterosexual marriage to his "soul mate," whom he met singing in a youth choir. Mainwaring and his wife were unable to conceive and adopted two boys before their marriage ended.
Following the divorce, Mainwaring explored a homosexual lifestyle and came to realizations that led him to gather his family under one roof again.
"Over several years, intellectual honesty led me to some unexpected conclusions: (1) Creating a family with another man is not completely equal to creating a family with a woman, and (2) denying children parents of both genders at home is an objective evil. Kids need and yearn for both."
Mainwaring says he has come to these conclusions not by religion but by reason and experience.
"Over the last couple of years, I've found our decision to rebuild our family ratified time after time. One day as I turned to climb the stairs I saw my 16-year-old son walk past his mom as she sat reading in the living room. As he did, he paused and stooped down to kiss her and give her a hug, and then continued on. With two dads in the house, this little moment of warmth and tenderness would never have occurred. My varsity-track-and-football-playing son and I can give each other a bear hug or a pat on the back, but the kiss thing is never going to happen. To be fully formed, children need to be free to generously receive from and express affection to parents of both genders. Genderless marriages deny this fullness."
- Alex Boye to make second appearance on NBC's...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 20 things I wish I would have known before...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen'
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Motherhood Matters: 4 ways to help your...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an... 116
- Beating the odds: Trip to the White... 4
- ValueSpeak: 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen' 3
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash... 2
- Mormon thrill ride creator still... 2
- 20 things I wish I would have known... 2
- Cruise, Ferguson deliver a winner with... 1
- Renovation Solutions: Finding more... 1