Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Easter Bunny, dozens of professional athletes and thousands of children will be hippity-hopping across the White House's South Lawn as President Barack Obama and his family lead the annual Easter Egg Roll.
One highlight of this year's event is the "Eggtivity Zone," in which athletes and coaches will help teach kids how to play sports. Among the stars scheduled to attend are Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, NASCAR driver Danica Patrick, gymnast John Orozco and Washington Wizards point guard John Wall.
Two of the younger celebrities in Monday's lineup are Oscar-nominated actress Quvenzhane Wallis, star of "Beasts of the Southern Wild," and Robbie Novak, who plays "Kid President" in a series of popular YouTube videos. Elmo, Abby and other "Sesame Street" Muppets will also be performing.
The White House had warned more than 35,000 expected attendees that the 135-year tradition could have been cancelled because of budget battles with Congress this year. White House tours have been called off because of government-wide spending cuts, but the egg roll was not.
The National Park Service, which organizes the event, says it's largely funded by sales of commemorative wooden eggs, plus some private donations. The park service would not say how much the event costs.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Q&A: Journalist Dan Rather speaks on courage...
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Jurors given conflicting views of Jodi Arias
- CVS tacks tobacco payment to prescription...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 109
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 17
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8