PHOENIX — Dixie State senior Josh Mooney (American Fork) has been selected as the Pacific West Conference Pitcher of the Week.
Mooney recorded three saves in four appearances with a 0.00 ERA and a .063 batting average allowed during a 4-2 week for the Red Storm. He allowed one hit over 5.1 innings of work.
On March 27, Mooney pitched 3.0 innings in a 5-1 victory vs. Hawaii-Hilo to earn his first save of the week. He allowed one hit and one walk.
Two days later on March 29, he was credited with a save after pitching to one batter during a 12-8 win at Azusa Pacific.
Mooney entered the game in bottom of the ninth with two outs, the bases loaded and the tying run at the plate. He induced a fly out to right field to end the game.
He also pitched a scoreless final inning of a 4-1 win at Azusa Pacific in game two of a doubleheader on March 30 to earn his third save of the week.
In game one, Mooney pitched a 1-2-3 bottom of the eighth to give the Red Storm an opportunity to rally for a victory.
Dixie State ended up losing 9-8, but the Red Storm trailed 9-1 entering the top of the eighth and scored seven times to pull within one. Mooney's scoreless eighth kept the Red Storm in striking distance in the ninth.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 48
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24