PHOENIX — Dixie State senior Josh Mooney (American Fork) has been selected as the Pacific West Conference Pitcher of the Week.
Mooney recorded three saves in four appearances with a 0.00 ERA and a .063 batting average allowed during a 4-2 week for the Red Storm. He allowed one hit over 5.1 innings of work.
On March 27, Mooney pitched 3.0 innings in a 5-1 victory vs. Hawaii-Hilo to earn his first save of the week. He allowed one hit and one walk.
Two days later on March 29, he was credited with a save after pitching to one batter during a 12-8 win at Azusa Pacific.
Mooney entered the game in bottom of the ninth with two outs, the bases loaded and the tying run at the plate. He induced a fly out to right field to end the game.
He also pitched a scoreless final inning of a 4-1 win at Azusa Pacific in game two of a doubleheader on March 30 to earn his third save of the week.
In game one, Mooney pitched a 1-2-3 bottom of the eighth to give the Red Storm an opportunity to rally for a victory.
Dixie State ended up losing 9-8, but the Red Storm trailed 9-1 entering the top of the eighth and scored seven times to pull within one. Mooney's scoreless eighth kept the Red Storm in striking distance in the ninth.
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13