PHOENIX — Dixie State senior Josh Mooney (American Fork) has been selected as the Pacific West Conference Pitcher of the Week.
Mooney recorded three saves in four appearances with a 0.00 ERA and a .063 batting average allowed during a 4-2 week for the Red Storm. He allowed one hit over 5.1 innings of work.
On March 27, Mooney pitched 3.0 innings in a 5-1 victory vs. Hawaii-Hilo to earn his first save of the week. He allowed one hit and one walk.
Two days later on March 29, he was credited with a save after pitching to one batter during a 12-8 win at Azusa Pacific.
Mooney entered the game in bottom of the ninth with two outs, the bases loaded and the tying run at the plate. He induced a fly out to right field to end the game.
He also pitched a scoreless final inning of a 4-1 win at Azusa Pacific in game two of a doubleheader on March 30 to earn his third save of the week.
In game one, Mooney pitched a 1-2-3 bottom of the eighth to give the Red Storm an opportunity to rally for a victory.
Dixie State ended up losing 9-8, but the Red Storm trailed 9-1 entering the top of the eighth and scored seven times to pull within one. Mooney's scoreless eighth kept the Red Storm in striking distance in the ninth.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 59
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 39
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34