PHOENIX — Dixie State senior Josh Mooney (American Fork) has been selected as the Pacific West Conference Pitcher of the Week.
Mooney recorded three saves in four appearances with a 0.00 ERA and a .063 batting average allowed during a 4-2 week for the Red Storm. He allowed one hit over 5.1 innings of work.
On March 27, Mooney pitched 3.0 innings in a 5-1 victory vs. Hawaii-Hilo to earn his first save of the week. He allowed one hit and one walk.
Two days later on March 29, he was credited with a save after pitching to one batter during a 12-8 win at Azusa Pacific.
Mooney entered the game in bottom of the ninth with two outs, the bases loaded and the tying run at the plate. He induced a fly out to right field to end the game.
He also pitched a scoreless final inning of a 4-1 win at Azusa Pacific in game two of a doubleheader on March 30 to earn his third save of the week.
In game one, Mooney pitched a 1-2-3 bottom of the eighth to give the Red Storm an opportunity to rally for a victory.
Dixie State ended up losing 9-8, but the Red Storm trailed 9-1 entering the top of the eighth and scored seven times to pull within one. Mooney's scoreless eighth kept the Red Storm in striking distance in the ninth.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18