Young women told to follow map of gospel on their journey
Virtuous life encouraged at General Young Women Meeting
"In these latter days, there are no small decisions," she said. "The choices you are making right now are of critical importance. Agency, or the ability to choose, is one of God's greatest gifts to his children. It is part of the plan of happiness you and I chose and defended in our pre-mortal existence. Live your lives in such a way that you can listen to and hear the Holy Ghost and he will help you make correct decisions. He will 'tell you all things what ye should do.' "
A young women's virtuous life will bless their ancestors, their families now and generations yet to come, said Sister Mary N. Cook, first counselor in the Young Women general presidency. Quoting President Gordon B. Hinckley, she stated, "When you save a girl, you save generations."
Righteous choices will qualify young women to make and keep sacred covenants that will bind their family together eternally, she said.
"Decide now to do all you can to fill your lamps, that your strong testimony and example may be woven into the lives of many generations, past, present and future. I testify that your virtuous life will not only save generations, but it will save your eternal life, for it is the only way to return to our Heavenly Father, and find true joy now and throughout eternity."
Sister Ann M. Dibb, second counselor in the Young Women general presidency told young women that they can create and stand in "holy places" even in the hardest times.
She Dibb said that while a holy place can be a physical environment or a geographical location — like a temple, church building or a home — but it can also be "a distinct condition, position or state of mind."
"This means holy places can also include moments in time," said Dibb, "moments when the Holy Ghost testifies to us, moments when we feel Heavenly Father's love, or moments when we receive an answer to our prayers. Even more, I believe any time you have the courage to stand for what is right … you are creating a holy place."
It is through finding, creating and visiting those "holy places" that young women are able to experience an incredible strengthening power.
"These places are providing you with protection, strength, and peace in unsettling times. Your testimonies are becoming stronger because you are standing for truth and righteousness in glorious ways."
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 108
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 64
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 20
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 8
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter... 7