ARLINGTON, Texas — Trey Burke scored all 23 of his points after halftime, including a long, tying 3-pointer in the final seconds of regulation, and Michigan rallied to beat Kansas 87-85 in the South Regional semifinals Friday night.
The fourth-seeded Wolverines wiped out a 10-point Kansas lead in the last 3 minutes of regulation, and Burke gave them their first lead since early in the game with another long 3 to open Michigan's scoring in overtime.
Michigan (29-7) reached the regional finals for the first time since the Fab Five era 19 years ago, the last time they were in the round of 16.
Ben McLemore had 20 points to lead the Jayhawks (31-6), who looked to be on their way to a third straight regional final before Michigan's improbable rally.
The Wolverines were down five when Tim Hardaway Jr. missed a 3-pointer with 35 seconds left, but Glenn Robinson III won a scramble for the ball and hit a reverse layup to force Kansas to win the game at the free throw line.
The Jayhawks couldn't do it. Burke's tying shot came after Elijah Johnson missed a free throw moments after hitting two to keep the Kansas lead at five. Burke hit a layup to get Michigan within three.
The lead changed hands five times in overtime — the first OT game of the tournament — the last when Mitch McGary, who led Michigan with 25 points and 14 rebounds, hit a short jumper with Johnson in his face to put Michigan ahead for good 83-82.
The Jayhawks got a stop and had about 9 seconds to tie or win, but a jumbled possession ended with Naadir Tharpe missing a running jumper at the buzzer.
(3) FLORIDA 62, (15) FLORIDA GULF COAST 50: Mike Rosario had 15 points and Florida is going to an NCAA regional final for the third year in a row after a victory over Florida Gulf Coast, the No. 15 seed whose improbable tournament journey ended just before midnight Friday.
Florida Gulf Coast, the high-flying team from "Dunk City" few people knew before this NCAA tourney, jumped out to an early 11-point lead against the SEC regular-season champs.
But the No. 3 seed Gators (29-7), with a roster filled with NCAA tourney experience, were just too strong and too good.
Michael Frazier made a pair of 3-pointers to start a 16-0 run late in the first half. That came in a 4 1/2-minute span when the Eagles (26-11) had four turnovers and missed their only shot. They trailed the rest of the game.
(1) LOUISVILLE 77, (12) OREGON 69: At Indianapolis, Russ Smith matched his career high with 31 points to lead three Cardinals in double figures, and top-seeded Louisville overcame its toughest test yet.
Kevin Ware added 11 and Gorgui Dieng had 10 points and nine rebounds for Louisville, which has won 13 straight. Coach Rick Pitino improved to 11-0 in the regional semifinals of the NCAA tournament.
The 12th-seeded Ducks (28-9) managed to make a game of it late. After Louisville went up 66-48 with 9:01 left, Oregon made six straight field goals to close to 70-64 — the closest anyone's been to the Cardinals in a couple of weeks. But Kevin Ware scored on a layup and Chane Behanan threw down a monstrous dunk to put the game out of reach.
Still, Oregon is only the second team to be within single digits at the buzzer during Louisville's run.
(2) DUKE 71, (3) MICHIGAN STATE 61: Seth Curry scored 29 points to lead the second-seeded Blue Devils past third-seeded Michigan State and into the Midwest Regional final.
If Duke (30-5) beats top-seeded Louisville (32-5) in Sunday's regional final, Krzyzewski would tie John Wooden's record with 12 Final Four trips.
Michigan State (27-9) just couldn't keep up with Curry and Duke's shooters. The Spartans were led by Keith Appling with 16 points and Adreian Payne with 14.
Curry's sixth 3 of the game broke a 38-38 tie early in the second half, sending Duke on a 9-0 run. It never trailed again.
Elite Eight on the air
Syracuse vs. Marquette, CBS, 2:15 p.m.
Wichita St. vs. Ohio St., CBS, 5 p.m.
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 63
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 43
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 34
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 23
- Video: 100 days until college football... 18
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10