As the Republicans consider ways to "fix" their primary system, they need to seriously consider simply undoing the two mistakes of a few years ago. Until they closed their primary to Republicans only and changed the threshold for a primary from 70 percent to 60 percent, the problems they are now having now did not exist. The 60 percent and the closed primary make it too easy for a small passionate group to gain control of the process.
Had those changes not been made Bob Bennett would still be in the Senate, which most Republicans had preferred. Sen. Mike Lee is great, and he would have had his chance, but the choices need to be done in a more representative way than they now are.
Howard H. Johnson
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 44
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 43
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 32
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 22