Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
The passage of SB71 would have been a win for Utah's children, expanding early education for at-risk children in Utah and setting students up for future success by teaching them basic skills in the social and cognitive realms.
This expansion can be compared to the Head Start program already in place in Salt Lake City. Here are some facts about that program from a USHHS report: Head Start has immediate positive effects on children's socio-emotional development, including self-esteem, achievement motivation and social behavior. By the end of their Head Start year, children scored higher in all three areas than their non-Head Start peers. Head Start parents reported positive changes in their personal lives, behaviors and attitudes — including an increase in knowledge of available social services and resources. Head Start children participate more fully in school and are less often identified as children with serious academic problems than those not enrolled in early childhood programs.
Clearly, the Head Start program has been a success in Utah. Unfortunately, our legislators failed to implement a similar early education program that would benefit many more Utah children. As a future educator, I hope that this issue will be revisited in the coming years. Our youngest citizens deserve more.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: How Utah...
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 45
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 39
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 37
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 32
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common... 31