OREM — Down 6-2 headed into the top of the seventh inning, the Orem Tigers (6-5, 2-0) rallied to score five runs and beat rival Mountain View (6-5, 0-2) 7-6 Thursday in Region 8 baseball action at Bruin Field.
With one out in the seventh and the bases empty, Quinn Ringer got the Orem rally going with a single up the middle. Another single by Ethen Chatterley, followed by a Mountain View error on a hard hit ball by Nolan Gray, loaded the bases for Orem. Ringer scored on a wild pitch and Mikhail Jones popped up to Bruin shortstop Parker Bingham for the second out.
With first base open Mountain View elected to intentionally walk Parker Overly, who had come close to hitting two balls out of the ballpark earlier in the game. With bases loaded and a 3-0 count, senior captain Brett Tittle laced a ball into right center, driving in two runs and cutting the lead to 6-5.
Garett Cook then hit a line drive to left center that got to the wall, scoring Overly from third and Tittle from first with the go-ahead run. Mountain View senior Jayce Hill retired the next batter to end the Orem rally.
Overly, who threw a six-inning complete game to beat the Bruins on Tuesday, picked up the save; needing just 11 pitches to close out the seventh inning and secure the 7-6 Orem victory.
"I was real proud of the way we competed tonight. The guys didn't quit. We hit the ball hard all night and when it came to crunch time we had several guys come up big," said Orem head coach Jeff Gustin. "Mountain View is a very good team. It was a big deal for us to find a way to win this game."
Sammy Wright, who relieved Gray in the fourth, got the victory. The senior right-hander threw 2 2?3 innings, giving up just two hits and no runs. Hill, who went the distance for Mountain View took the loss.
Tittle led the Orem attack going 2-4 at the plate with three RBIs and also scored the winning run. Gray, who had a single in the sixth inning, scored two of the Tiger runs, while Cook had two RBIs including the game winner.
Mountain View was lead by Haden Young who had a home run and three RBIs and well as Hill who went 3-4 with two RBIs.
Orem and Mountain View will both play Saturday in the Vivint Orem Tiger Baseball Classic at Utah Valley University. The Tigers will face Timpview at 9:00 a..m., followed by the Bruins vs. Timpanogos game at Noon. Tickets for the Vivint Orem Tiger Baseball Classic are available at the Brent Brown Ballpark ticket office on the day of the game.
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- Business-like Real Salt Lake stops Kreis in...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 42
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 40
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 32
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 23
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Morning links: Who are the Jazz taking... 10