WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies scored three goals in 3:08 in a four-goal second period and went on to beat the Colorado Eagles 5-2 Wednesday night at Maverik Center, returning home after 18 days and six road games.
"I liked the first 40 minutes no question, said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "I thought we were hard on the puck, made some great area passes and we did the little things that teams need to do to be successful."
Five different Utah players scored and Utah rookie goaltender Ben Meisner (3-0-0-4) stopped 37 of 39 shots in his Maverik Center debut as Utah extended their ECHL-high unbeaten streak to 10-straight games at 5-0-1-4.
"He was good, he competes, he gives us a chance to win, and we need to play 60 minutes in front of him," said Colley.
Utah made it 1-0 10:57 into the first period as Tommy Maxwell (5) fired a shot from the left circle as he took a feed up ice from Adam Estoclet in transition.
The 1-0 lead held until 6:37 into the second, while Utah killed two penalties against Colorado's No. 1-ranked power-play and Meisner made some more big saves in the meantime.
Utah then opened up three goals in 3:08 to build a 4-0 lead with Colin Vock's team-leading 29th of the year as he hammered in an Estoclet (two assists) rebound to make it 2-0. Two minutes later at 8:39, Chris Donovan (5) tipped in a Berkley Scott shot as Scott followed a rebound on a Maxwell (one goal, one assist) shot to make it 3-0. Utah completed the stretch with the fourth goal coming 1:06 after the third goal as David Eddy (5) tipped in a Riley Armstrong shot on the power-play. Nick Tuzzolino picked up an assist as well. Darren Rowe (one goal, one assist) made it 5-0 with 4:21 left in the second period as Scott (two assists) won a face-off to him and he fired a shot in from the point.
Colorado scored two power-play goals in the third and cut the lead to 5-2 with 7:28 remaining.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- 3A boys state tournament central: Live...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 49
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29