WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies scored three goals in 3:08 in a four-goal second period and went on to beat the Colorado Eagles 5-2 Wednesday night at Maverik Center, returning home after 18 days and six road games.
"I liked the first 40 minutes no question, said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "I thought we were hard on the puck, made some great area passes and we did the little things that teams need to do to be successful."
Five different Utah players scored and Utah rookie goaltender Ben Meisner (3-0-0-4) stopped 37 of 39 shots in his Maverik Center debut as Utah extended their ECHL-high unbeaten streak to 10-straight games at 5-0-1-4.
"He was good, he competes, he gives us a chance to win, and we need to play 60 minutes in front of him," said Colley.
Utah made it 1-0 10:57 into the first period as Tommy Maxwell (5) fired a shot from the left circle as he took a feed up ice from Adam Estoclet in transition.
The 1-0 lead held until 6:37 into the second, while Utah killed two penalties against Colorado's No. 1-ranked power-play and Meisner made some more big saves in the meantime.
Utah then opened up three goals in 3:08 to build a 4-0 lead with Colin Vock's team-leading 29th of the year as he hammered in an Estoclet (two assists) rebound to make it 2-0. Two minutes later at 8:39, Chris Donovan (5) tipped in a Berkley Scott shot as Scott followed a rebound on a Maxwell (one goal, one assist) shot to make it 3-0. Utah completed the stretch with the fourth goal coming 1:06 after the third goal as David Eddy (5) tipped in a Riley Armstrong shot on the power-play. Nick Tuzzolino picked up an assist as well. Darren Rowe (one goal, one assist) made it 5-0 with 4:21 left in the second period as Scott (two assists) won a face-off to him and he fired a shot in from the point.
Colorado scored two power-play goals in the third and cut the lead to 5-2 with 7:28 remaining.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 33
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 31
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28