WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies scored three goals in 3:08 in a four-goal second period and went on to beat the Colorado Eagles 5-2 Wednesday night at Maverik Center, returning home after 18 days and six road games.
"I liked the first 40 minutes no question, said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley. "I thought we were hard on the puck, made some great area passes and we did the little things that teams need to do to be successful."
Five different Utah players scored and Utah rookie goaltender Ben Meisner (3-0-0-4) stopped 37 of 39 shots in his Maverik Center debut as Utah extended their ECHL-high unbeaten streak to 10-straight games at 5-0-1-4.
"He was good, he competes, he gives us a chance to win, and we need to play 60 minutes in front of him," said Colley.
Utah made it 1-0 10:57 into the first period as Tommy Maxwell (5) fired a shot from the left circle as he took a feed up ice from Adam Estoclet in transition.
The 1-0 lead held until 6:37 into the second, while Utah killed two penalties against Colorado's No. 1-ranked power-play and Meisner made some more big saves in the meantime.
Utah then opened up three goals in 3:08 to build a 4-0 lead with Colin Vock's team-leading 29th of the year as he hammered in an Estoclet (two assists) rebound to make it 2-0. Two minutes later at 8:39, Chris Donovan (5) tipped in a Berkley Scott shot as Scott followed a rebound on a Maxwell (one goal, one assist) shot to make it 3-0. Utah completed the stretch with the fourth goal coming 1:06 after the third goal as David Eddy (5) tipped in a Riley Armstrong shot on the power-play. Nick Tuzzolino picked up an assist as well. Darren Rowe (one goal, one assist) made it 5-0 with 4:21 left in the second period as Scott (two assists) won a face-off to him and he fired a shot in from the point.
Colorado scored two power-play goals in the third and cut the lead to 5-2 with 7:28 remaining.
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 46
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 40
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27