DRAPER — After dropping its first three games against 5A opponents, 3A powerhouse Juan Diego remained calm and confident in its match-up against Brighton.
"It's been a tough preseason with all these 5A opponents, but it's been great experience for our guys," said Juan Diego head coach Troy Davis.
Brighton (0-5) tied the game up in the top of the second inning off T.J. Orchard's RBI-single, only to have Juan Diego (3-3) re-take the lead with a two-out rally in the bottom of the second.
Davis was impressive at the plate, as he went 2-for-4 with a double and four RBIs to lead the Soaring Eagle scoring attack.
"It's good for Preston to keep getting this varsity experience," Davis said. "He is a player that always comes up huge for us."
After holding Brighton to just one run in the third inning, Tyler Olson, Ryan Hughes, Gabe Juarez and Davis all batted-in runs for Juan Diego, while Alex Gudac and Davis crossed the plate on wild pitches from Brighton. Juan Diego's six-hit, seven-run inning extended the Soaring Eagle lead to eight.
After his team took a commanding 10-2 lead, sophomore pitcher Dylan Delgado and reliever Jaden Davis held the Bengals to just one hit and one run the rest of the way.
"We went with a sophomore on the mound tonight, and Dylan pitched great for us," Davis said. "It's awesome he's getting this varsity experience because we are going to rely on him a lot this season."
The Soaring Eagle were sharp on both sides of the field, as they managed to rack up 12 hits while making just one error in the field to ensure the victory.
The Soaring Eagle went on to add three more runs in the bottom of the sixth to take a 13-3 lead and end the game.
"Our defense looked great," Davis said. "We got to play on our home field, so we looked really comfortable out there, but there is always room for improvement.
"We're not connecting on all four or eight cylinders yet, but we are continuing to improve everyday — offensively and defensively — and that's what is most important."
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50