OREM — The Orem High baseball team opened Region 8 play Tuesday with a 12-2 victory over cross-town rival Mountain View. The Tigers (5-5, 1-0) were led by junior Parker Overly, who threw a six-inning complete game, surrendering just three hits and one earned run, while striking out four. Sophomore Jordan Raab took the loss for the Bruins (6-4, 0-1).
Using a balanced offensive attack, Orem scored 12 runs on 11 hits with 10 Tigers collecting at least one hit apiece. Nolan Gray led Orem with two RBIs, while five other Tigers — Ethan Chatterley, Brett Tittle, Garett Cook, Nic Andersen and Quinn Ringer — each scored twice.
Orem got on the board early, scoring three runs in the first inning and two more in the second to take a 5-0 lead. The Bruins scratched out a run in both the third and fourth innings, but Orem responded in the bottom of the fourth with three more to take a commanding 8-2 lead. Two more runs in both the fifth and sixth innings gave Orem a 10-run victory. Overly improved his record to 2-0 on the year with an ERA of 1.67.
The Tigers and Bruins will play game two of the series on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. at Mountain View.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 101
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 96
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25