OREM — The Orem High baseball team opened Region 8 play Tuesday with a 12-2 victory over cross-town rival Mountain View. The Tigers (5-5, 1-0) were led by junior Parker Overly, who threw a six-inning complete game, surrendering just three hits and one earned run, while striking out four. Sophomore Jordan Raab took the loss for the Bruins (6-4, 0-1).
Using a balanced offensive attack, Orem scored 12 runs on 11 hits with 10 Tigers collecting at least one hit apiece. Nolan Gray led Orem with two RBIs, while five other Tigers — Ethan Chatterley, Brett Tittle, Garett Cook, Nic Andersen and Quinn Ringer — each scored twice.
Orem got on the board early, scoring three runs in the first inning and two more in the second to take a 5-0 lead. The Bruins scratched out a run in both the third and fourth innings, but Orem responded in the bottom of the fourth with three more to take a commanding 8-2 lead. Two more runs in both the fifth and sixth innings gave Orem a 10-run victory. Overly improved his record to 2-0 on the year with an ERA of 1.67.
The Tigers and Bruins will play game two of the series on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. at Mountain View.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 113
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43