OREM — The Orem High baseball team opened Region 8 play Tuesday with a 12-2 victory over cross-town rival Mountain View. The Tigers (5-5, 1-0) were led by junior Parker Overly, who threw a six-inning complete game, surrendering just three hits and one earned run, while striking out four. Sophomore Jordan Raab took the loss for the Bruins (6-4, 0-1).
Using a balanced offensive attack, Orem scored 12 runs on 11 hits with 10 Tigers collecting at least one hit apiece. Nolan Gray led Orem with two RBIs, while five other Tigers — Ethan Chatterley, Brett Tittle, Garett Cook, Nic Andersen and Quinn Ringer — each scored twice.
Orem got on the board early, scoring three runs in the first inning and two more in the second to take a 5-0 lead. The Bruins scratched out a run in both the third and fourth innings, but Orem responded in the bottom of the fourth with three more to take a commanding 8-2 lead. Two more runs in both the fifth and sixth innings gave Orem a 10-run victory. Overly improved his record to 2-0 on the year with an ERA of 1.67.
The Tigers and Bruins will play game two of the series on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. at Mountain View.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27