OREM — The Orem High baseball team opened Region 8 play Tuesday with a 12-2 victory over cross-town rival Mountain View. The Tigers (5-5, 1-0) were led by junior Parker Overly, who threw a six-inning complete game, surrendering just three hits and one earned run, while striking out four. Sophomore Jordan Raab took the loss for the Bruins (6-4, 0-1).
Using a balanced offensive attack, Orem scored 12 runs on 11 hits with 10 Tigers collecting at least one hit apiece. Nolan Gray led Orem with two RBIs, while five other Tigers — Ethan Chatterley, Brett Tittle, Garett Cook, Nic Andersen and Quinn Ringer — each scored twice.
Orem got on the board early, scoring three runs in the first inning and two more in the second to take a 5-0 lead. The Bruins scratched out a run in both the third and fourth innings, but Orem responded in the bottom of the fourth with three more to take a commanding 8-2 lead. Two more runs in both the fifth and sixth innings gave Orem a 10-run victory. Overly improved his record to 2-0 on the year with an ERA of 1.67.
The Tigers and Bruins will play game two of the series on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. at Mountain View.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45