OREM — The Orem High baseball team opened Region 8 play Tuesday with a 12-2 victory over cross-town rival Mountain View. The Tigers (5-5, 1-0) were led by junior Parker Overly, who threw a six-inning complete game, surrendering just three hits and one earned run, while striking out four. Sophomore Jordan Raab took the loss for the Bruins (6-4, 0-1).
Using a balanced offensive attack, Orem scored 12 runs on 11 hits with 10 Tigers collecting at least one hit apiece. Nolan Gray led Orem with two RBIs, while five other Tigers — Ethan Chatterley, Brett Tittle, Garett Cook, Nic Andersen and Quinn Ringer — each scored twice.
Orem got on the board early, scoring three runs in the first inning and two more in the second to take a 5-0 lead. The Bruins scratched out a run in both the third and fourth innings, but Orem responded in the bottom of the fourth with three more to take a commanding 8-2 lead. Two more runs in both the fifth and sixth innings gave Orem a 10-run victory. Overly improved his record to 2-0 on the year with an ERA of 1.67.
The Tigers and Bruins will play game two of the series on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. at Mountain View.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0