LOS ANGELES (MCT) — A disabled man who was stuck inside Disneyland's "It's A Small World" ride four years ago and later sued the amusement park has been awarded $8,000 in a court decision, the man's attorney said Tuesday.
Santa Monica, Calif.-based attorney David Geffen said his paraplegic client, 52-year-old L.A. County resident Jose Martinez, went to Disneyland with his wife on Nov. 27, 2009.
The pair were having a great time, Geffen said, but the "It's a Small World" ride "stopped working as he was just exiting the goodbye tunnel. The music was still blaring.
"They started evacuating other guests and weren't evacuating him," Geffen said. "They said they couldn't move him out of the cave."
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana and Geffen said the court awarded $4,000 for negligence and $4,000 related to other access violations.
"Disneyland Resort believes it provided all appropriate assistance to Mr. and Mrs. Martinez when the ride temporarily stopped and is disappointed that the court did not fully agree," said Suzi Brown, spokeswoman for Disneyland Resort.
Martinez's trip to Disneyland "went from an experience that he doesn't get as often as other people. . . . His disability vanished during that time and then it came and hit him hard and right in the face as soon as the ride broke down," Geffen said.
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic...
- Colleges add luxury touches to new football...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- Car crash in Argentina kills 3 relatives of pope
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Police, protesters collide again in... 20
- Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for... 19
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 18
- Police identify Missouri officer who... 16
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14