Wyoming detectives seek help in probe of Utah officer's suicide
His body was found in Wyoming, shot in head
ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. — Investigators are seeking the public's help as they try to piece together the final hours of Michael Valdes' life before the West Valley police officer committed suicide.
Valdes was last seen by his wife on March 19 between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m., when he told her he was heading to work. But he never arrived, and was reported missing to the West Jordan Police Department.
Two days later officers were dispatched to the I-80 tunnels near Green River, Wyo., around 10 p.m. and found Valdes, 37, in his vehicle following a single-vehicle crash, Sweetwater County sheriff's detective Dick Blust Jr. said.
Authorities determined that Valdes died as a result of a single, self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. A Glock semiautomatic pistol was found in Valdes' vehicle, Blust said.
"There's no indication of foul play," Blust said Tuesday when asked whether the plea for the public's help signaled a shift in the sheriff's office investigation.
"We're just trying to fill in the blanks in the last 48 hours of his life," the detective said. "We have a couple leads that put him in Rock Springs for a time."
Valdes was 6 feet 2 inches tall, weighed about 180 pounds and had black hair and brown eyes. He was driving a black 2006 Infiniti SUV, with Utah license plate B975SJ.
Anyone who may have seen Valdes or his vehicle is asked to call the sheriff's office at 307-922-5296.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13