NEW YORK — T-Mobile USA on Tuesday said it will start offering the iPhone on April 12.
T-Mobile, the fourth-largest of the national U.S. phone companies, has been losing customers to the bigger companies, which all sell the iPhone.
"This is a big deal for us," T-Mobile CEO John Legere said at an event in New York.
The company will charge $100 up front for the iPhone 5, then another $20 per month for two years. That's on top of service fees for voice, text and data that start at $50 per month. The total monthly cost starts at $70 per month, a substantial discount to prices offered by bigger companies.
In areas where its network supports them, T-Mobile will also sell the older iPhone 4, for $15 down and $15 per month for two years, and the 4S for $70 plus $20 per month for two years.
T-Mobile's network has, until recently, not been able to offer high-speed data service to iPhones. It's now able to deliver high-speed data to iPhones in some cities, and it has lured more than 2.1 million off-contract AT&T iPhones, executives said Tuesday.
The new phone announcements come just days after T-Mobile ditched its conventional contract-based plans in favor of selling phones on an installment basis. It's separating the cost of the phone from the service, and when a phone is paid off, usually after two years, the monthly fee for the phone disappears from the billing statement.
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- After setting iPhone record, what does Apple...
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline
- Young adults prefer to share chores and...
- Failed resort embittered friends, Marc Jenson...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- Index indicates Utah economy thriving
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 3
- McDonald's CEO steps down as sales decline 3
- Knocking doors: What to know before... 3
- Faith leaders: your secret weapon in... 2