EASTON WALKER, Pleasant Grove, baseball: The Vikings are off to a strong 5-0 start this season, and the play of this sophomore is a big reason why.
Walker is batting .411 this preseason with two home runs, four doubles and eight RBIs.
His best game yet was last Thursday. With Pleasant Grove trailing Alta 5-0 after two innings, Walker spearheaded an impressive rally as he homered twice and drove in five runs as the Vikings came back for the 7-6 victory.
Pleasant Grove's leadoff hitter has also walked six times this season for a .570 on-base percentage.
On the mound, Walker has made two starts and is 1-0 with a 1.86 ERA and 15 strikeouts.
BAYLEE REEVES, Box Elder, softball: Baylee Reeves' nickname says it all — Crazy.
"She is a leader," said Box Elder head coach Mandy Hodgson. "She gets the girls excited."
Not only does she rally her teammates, the senior pitcher's demeanor sends a message to opposing hitters.
"She has a presence on the mound," Hodgson said. "She's just not going to take no for an answer."
The BYU-Hawaii commit is 3-0 this season with a 10-inning win over Bonneville, in which she gave up just a single hit. In fact, she's given up just a single earned run all season.
"She has a great arm — both overhand and underhand," Hodgson said.
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 33
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26