EASTON WALKER, Pleasant Grove, baseball: The Vikings are off to a strong 5-0 start this season, and the play of this sophomore is a big reason why.
Walker is batting .411 this preseason with two home runs, four doubles and eight RBIs.
His best game yet was last Thursday. With Pleasant Grove trailing Alta 5-0 after two innings, Walker spearheaded an impressive rally as he homered twice and drove in five runs as the Vikings came back for the 7-6 victory.
Pleasant Grove's leadoff hitter has also walked six times this season for a .570 on-base percentage.
On the mound, Walker has made two starts and is 1-0 with a 1.86 ERA and 15 strikeouts.
BAYLEE REEVES, Box Elder, softball: Baylee Reeves' nickname says it all — Crazy.
"She is a leader," said Box Elder head coach Mandy Hodgson. "She gets the girls excited."
Not only does she rally her teammates, the senior pitcher's demeanor sends a message to opposing hitters.
"She has a presence on the mound," Hodgson said. "She's just not going to take no for an answer."
The BYU-Hawaii commit is 3-0 this season with a 10-inning win over Bonneville, in which she gave up just a single hit. In fact, she's given up just a single earned run all season.
"She has a great arm — both overhand and underhand," Hodgson said.
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- BYU baseball team confident entering West...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 112
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 65
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 41
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18
- Dick Harmon: Who's going to follow... 16