SALT LAKE CITY — A third investigator has been added to the University of Utah's review of its athletic department's handling of misconduct in the swimming and diving program under coach Greg Winslow.
President David Pershing announced Monday that the independent review has commenced and that the review team will report their findings directly to a subcommittee of the university's Board of Trustees headed by Vice Chair Michele Mattsson.
John T. Nielsen, a former prosecutor and former Utah commissioner of public safety, will join attorneys Alan Sullivan and Michael Glazier in the investigation of the swimming program and how athletic director Chris Hill and others handled issues in the program over a period of several years.
"A review team is now in place to examine the allegations that have been made," said Mattsson. "We have retained outside experts to determine what took place, what was communicated to the university and how it responded. We are also seeking recommendations from the review group to ensure the continued safety and well-being of our student-athletes."
Winslow was suspended by the university Feb. 28 for allegations of sexual misconduct in a previous job before he came to Utah and dismissed a few days later. Then in early March, the university announced it would conduct an investigation the athletic department's handling of the situation, headed by Sullivan, a local attorney and Glazier, an attorney from Kansas City.
No timetable was set to complete the investigation, although a press release by the U. said the review is "proceeding expeditiously." However, according to Matt Fiascone, one of the parents who first brought complaints about Winslow earlier this year, he and other parents of former swimmers have not yet been contacted by investigators, and he is not aware of former swimmers being contacted.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31