'I did not ask for this opportunity:' Confessions of a Mormon bishop
I have learned pornography is highly addictive and has nothing to do with sexual appetites and everything to do with escape. And that the habit is never overcome in isolation.
I have learned that we feel like a failure when we make mistakes even when we profess a belief that the purpose of this existence is to make and learn from them.
I have learned that forgiveness is the greatest gift we can offer someone. And ourselves.
I have learned that many know about Jesus Christ but more of us could make an effort to know him.
I have learned that the strongest among us are those with the cleanest mirrors.
I have learned that the sins of parents profoundly affect children. And are often repeated by them.
I have learned that affection from parents profoundly affects children.
I have learned that most communication between parents and children is what psychologists call "superficial." Strong relationships are built on the "validating" variety.
I have learned that children desperately desire parents who listen.
I have learned that churches are not museums or catwalks for perfected saints but rather labs for sinners.
I have learned that "tolerate" and "love" are two very different verbs despite what popular culture professes.
I have learned that there's more sadness in this world than I had realized.
I have learned there is more goodness in this world than I had realized.
I have learned that to be happy is a choice.
I have learned those preoccupied with serving others have less time to count their problems.
I have learned that a habit of one brief moment of spirituality a day can alter one's entire direction.
I have learned that we want God to grant us space to make decisions but step in to stop others, nature, mortality, or illness from hurting us or those we love.
I have learned those who have made more mistakes have a great gift. Empathy. Now to the matter of searching out someone who hungers for it.
Indeed, I have learned I have much to learn.
The names of those I meet with will never be known. Confidentiality demands I never disclose their stories.
But, late last night as I sat in my car on the driveway I decided I should compile a list of what the people I meet with are teaching me.
And, I wanted to share it.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- Religious groups react to Boy... 70
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 42
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 26
- ... 10
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS... 3