Utah women's basketball: Utes set to face San Diego in NIT 2nd round
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah women's basketball team will host San Diego in the second round of the WNIT today at 7:00 p.m. MT. Tickets are $9 for adults, and youth under 18 and kids are free. Students receive free admission with their UCard.
The Utes, which defeated Long Beach State in the first round of the WNIT, have won eight of their last 11 games.
"Anytime you get to play at home you're obviously far more comfortable, but in the postseason, especially when you get to this point, you're playing a really good team," Utah head coach Anthony Levrets said. "Hopefully we'll be prepared enough to give them a fight."
San Diego is 22-9 on the year and went 12-4 in the West Coast Conference. The Dons have played just one game this year against a Pac-12 opponent, a 72-39 loss to Arizona State in December.
Utah is 2-0 all-time against San Diego. The two schools have not played since a home-and-home series in 1988 and 1989.
"San Diego is a really talented team," Levrets said. "They made it to the championship game of their conference tournament and lost narrowly to Gonzaga. They have a little bit of everything — they have good guard play and good inside play. It's going to be a challenge."
Utah is making its seventh appearance in the WNIT (1979, 1984, 1999, 2007, 2010, 2012 and 2013). Utah is 5-9 overall in the tournament. The Utes have gone 1-1 during each of their last three appearances in 2012, 2010 and 2007. Last season, Utah defeated Utah State in the first round of the tournament before falling at Washington in the second round.
San Diego at Utah
today, 7 p.m.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule includes...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 111
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 71
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45