Recommendations from the team that prepared for a Romney Administration
Charles Dharapak, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Editor's Note: This essay originally was published in USA TODAY.
When President Barack Obama traveled to Capitol Hill on March 12, 13 and 14
Last summer, we led a behind-the-scenes effort to prepare and plan for a potential Romney administration. Hundreds of well-regarded policy thinkers developed a set of concrete proposals to create jobs and put our nation on a sound fiscal path. While we know there will be disagreement in some details, there is enough agreement that real change is possible.
The president has noted his interest in ensuring both Medicare and Social Security are sustainable for the long run. He's also called for stabilizing our debt trajectory with an additional $1.5 trillion in deficit reduction.
Recent discoveries make North American energy independence possible within a decade
There is bipartisan consensus that opening markets abroad benefits American consumers and creates American jobs. Obama's plans to create a Trans-Pacific Partnership
There is also broad consensus that our tax system is too costly and stifles business. In the State of the Union, Obama renewed his call for comprehensive tax reform
For Romney supporters like us, the next four years are not about what might have been, but rather about what could be if we put aside political differences and work on sensible policies. President Obama needs to press harder to take advantage of this opportunity.
Michael O. Leavitt chaired the Romney Readiness Project (transition team). Lanhee J. Chen is a Research Fellow at the Hoover Institution and served as policy director for Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential campaign.
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 79
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 50
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 49
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 22
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- Letter: Citizens have a duty 19
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 17
- My view: Biggest reason for physician... 17