Laura Seitz, Deseret News
I love the Second Amendment! I am a member of the NRA and own many weapons. I have a concealed carry permit and I carry regularly. I believe I use common sense when it comes to weapons. When I carry, it is concealed. I don't want to flaunt the weapon nor allow "bad guys" to identify me as a target that may need a pre-emptive shot. HB76 goes too far to protect my Second Amendment rights and needs to be vetoed. The current law, which requires a background check and a permitting process, is common sense and supported by the majority of citizens of Utah. HB76 is not.
Furthermore, current law permits open-carry by a citizen or concealed weapons permit holder. I plead with those of you who choose to unnecessarily display your weapons, especially those who open-carry in our primary schools, to exercise more discretion. Children cannot tell the difference between good guys with guns and bad guys with guns. They are scared by any guns displayed unnecessarily.
Open-carry and HB76 makes me feel like I need to be practicing my "fast draw." Come on everyone … a little common sense and discretion please.
R. Merle Johnson
- Sen. Orrin Hatch: Misrepresentation... 72
- John Hoffmire: The pathway to change in... 50
- In our opinion: Greece's fiscal... 34
- In our opinion: Regulatory relief,... 33
- Letter: No humane way to kill 31
- Letter: Social judges? 31
- Michael Erickson: Lincoln saved a... 27
- Dean Li: Don’t stop debating... 27