NEW YORK — The next book by primatologist Jane Goodall has been postponed because some passages were lifted from online sources and not properly credited.
Hachette Book Group announced Friday that no new release date has been set for Goodall's "Seeds of Hope," originally scheduled for April 2. Goodall said in a statement that she agreed to delay the book and "correct any unintentional errors."
"It is important to me that the proper sources are credited, and I will be working diligently with my team to address all areas of concern," said Goodall, who has written or co-written more than 20 books.
Hachette said excerpts that appeared this month in Smithsonian magazine did not contain questionable material.
Goodall, 78, co-authored "Seeds of Hope" with Gail Hudson, who has written for Nature, Good Housekeeping and other publications. The book is being billed as a study of "the critical role that trees and plants play in our world."
Earlier this month, a Washington Post freelance reviewer alerted the paper to numerous similarities between material in "Seeds of Hope" and passages on Wikipedia and on websites for organic tea and the history of tobacco.
"My goal is to ensure that when this book is released it is not only up to the highest of standards, but also that the focus be on the crucial messages it conveys," Goodall said.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- Chocolate compound restores age-related...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 61
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 22
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 11
- News Guide: A look at latest Ebola... 9