The key to our education problems is the ability to read and comprehend by the time students finish third grade. Reading becomes more important from fourth through 12th grades. No child should pass on to the next grade unless he or she knows how to read. This is where schools should spend their time and money.
Computers help students but if they cannot comprehend what the computer is telling them, it's a waste of time and money. Let's be realistic in our goals to educate our children.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: Par for the president
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- Letter: Our great nation?
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Attention diverted
- Why religious organizations should be...
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 49
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 44
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 35
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 32
- Letter: Society puzzles 32