The key to our education problems is the ability to read and comprehend by the time students finish third grade. Reading becomes more important from fourth through 12th grades. No child should pass on to the next grade unless he or she knows how to read. This is where schools should spend their time and money.
Computers help students but if they cannot comprehend what the computer is telling them, it's a waste of time and money. Let's be realistic in our goals to educate our children.
Salt Lake City
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- My view: Deeper look at Utah’s...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- Letter: Give her time
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 75
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 36
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 29