The key to our education problems is the ability to read and comprehend by the time students finish third grade. Reading becomes more important from fourth through 12th grades. No child should pass on to the next grade unless he or she knows how to read. This is where schools should spend their time and money.
Computers help students but if they cannot comprehend what the computer is telling them, it's a waste of time and money. Let's be realistic in our goals to educate our children.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help...
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about liberals...
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- Letter: No oversight at all
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 62
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 38
- Letter: We can do better 27
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about... 27
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 26
- Letter: Pledge for respect 25