The key to our education problems is the ability to read and comprehend by the time students finish third grade. Reading becomes more important from fourth through 12th grades. No child should pass on to the next grade unless he or she knows how to read. This is where schools should spend their time and money.
Computers help students but if they cannot comprehend what the computer is telling them, it's a waste of time and money. Let's be realistic in our goals to educate our children.
Salt Lake City
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 111
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 47
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 47
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 33
- The complicated political views of... 32