AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Trey Burke hit the ground with a thud, and a rough night suddenly turned downright painful.
The Michigan star left the court for a bit but came back pretty quickly. No big deal — Burke was OK, and his teammates had this game under control.
Glenn Robinson III scored 21 points and Mitch McGary added 13 points and nine rebounds, helping fourth-seeded Michigan to a 71-56 NCAA tournament win over 13th-seeded South Dakota State on Thursday night.
Burke scored only six points, including two field goals. The good news for Michigan (27-7) is he'll be back to try and do better in Saturday's third-round game.
"I hit my back and my elbow and a piece of my head, but I'm fine," Burke said. "My elbow's just a little sore, and my tailbone is a little sore, but besides that, I'm fine."
Tim Hardaway Jr. scored 21 points and picked up some of the slack for Burke, who was held in single digits for the first time all season.
"We knew he was frustrated. I could see it in his body language in the first half," South Dakota State coach Scott Nagy said. "Nate's a tremendous defender and he doesn't get much credit for it, but he did a good job."
No. 5 VCU 88, No. 12 AKRON 42: Troy Daniels had 23 points, Juvonte Reddic scored 21 and VCU routed Akron 88-42 on Thursday night in the most lopsided victory by a fifth-seeded team over a No. 12 in NCAA tournament history.
The previous mark was set by Wyoming in a 35-point win over Howard in 1981 and matched by Tennessee against Long Beach State in 2007, according to STATS.
The Rams (27-8) will play fourth-seeded Michigan on Saturday for a spot in the round of 16.
Akron (26-7) was seriously short-handed, and it showed.
In addition to playing without suspended point guard Alex Abreu, the Zips had other problems as well. Starting guard Brian Walsh and reserve center Pat Forsythe were limited by the flu, and reserve guard Deji Ibitayo wasn't even in uniform because of back spasms.
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Kaufusi providing BYU with much-needed inside...
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes about his...
- BYU looking to get off bubble, into NCAA...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 77
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 52
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns... 30
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes... 27