Ravell Call, Deseret News
"The only way we get to where the church wants to be is when we get Democrats and Republicans agreeing. And when we do have common ground we should vote and pass that and move to the next step." These are Rep. Jason Chaffetz's words following the recent meeting between President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency and President Obama, where they discussed immigration policy.
Of course this is the way public policy should be made. However, who are we to believe? The "get Democrats and Republicans agreeing," "finding common ground" Chaffetz who teaches we should "vote and pass that and move on to the next step?" Or the obstructionist Chaffetz who has joined with Sen. Mike Lee and others in digging in his heels and helping our president to create fiscal chaos? We need someone in Washington who will work to find "common ground" and then "vote and pass that and move to the next step." Rep. Chaffetz, will you and the rest of the Utah delegation in Washington please get to work and do your job?
- In the words of Thomas Jefferson: Why...
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and Healthy...
- Letter: Medically fragile
- A. Scott Anderson: Healthy Utah is the...
- Michael Gerson: Christianity, grace...
- Jay Evensen: Don't turn prison relocation...
- Letter: Bear Lake driving
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront Islamic...
- Robert Bennett: Are Republican... 49
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 41
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Medically fragile 31
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- Allowing export of U.S. crude oil would... 22
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and... 22