Ravell Call, Deseret News
"The only way we get to where the church wants to be is when we get Democrats and Republicans agreeing. And when we do have common ground we should vote and pass that and move to the next step." These are Rep. Jason Chaffetz's words following the recent meeting between President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency and President Obama, where they discussed immigration policy.
Of course this is the way public policy should be made. However, who are we to believe? The "get Democrats and Republicans agreeing," "finding common ground" Chaffetz who teaches we should "vote and pass that and move on to the next step?" Or the obstructionist Chaffetz who has joined with Sen. Mike Lee and others in digging in his heels and helping our president to create fiscal chaos? We need someone in Washington who will work to find "common ground" and then "vote and pass that and move to the next step." Rep. Chaffetz, will you and the rest of the Utah delegation in Washington please get to work and do your job?
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- About Utah: His business is fun, games and...
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks the...
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends...
- Jenet Jacob Erickson: Understanding family...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 37
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 37
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 36
- Letter: Preventative care 28
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- Letter: Insurance website 20
- Letter: Buying politicians 20
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What... 18