Ravell Call, Deseret News
"The only way we get to where the church wants to be is when we get Democrats and Republicans agreeing. And when we do have common ground we should vote and pass that and move to the next step." These are Rep. Jason Chaffetz's words following the recent meeting between President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency and President Obama, where they discussed immigration policy.
Of course this is the way public policy should be made. However, who are we to believe? The "get Democrats and Republicans agreeing," "finding common ground" Chaffetz who teaches we should "vote and pass that and move on to the next step?" Or the obstructionist Chaffetz who has joined with Sen. Mike Lee and others in digging in his heels and helping our president to create fiscal chaos? We need someone in Washington who will work to find "common ground" and then "vote and pass that and move to the next step." Rep. Chaffetz, will you and the rest of the Utah delegation in Washington please get to work and do your job?
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new, less...
- Jay Evensen: Why some mothers kill babies:...
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity
- Drew Clark: Meaning of 'thou shalt not kill'...
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate
- Robert J. Samuelson: Long-term unemployment...
- Letter: Socialism, like salt
- In our opinion: Obamacare's 'success'... 88
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Why the... 55
- In our opinion: The Ten Commandments in... 52
- Charles Krauthammer: Defend the... 52
- Robert Bennett: Making our own spending... 40
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 38
- Letter: Money is not speech 36
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35