Ravell Call, Deseret News
"The only way we get to where the church wants to be is when we get Democrats and Republicans agreeing. And when we do have common ground we should vote and pass that and move to the next step." These are Rep. Jason Chaffetz's words following the recent meeting between President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency and President Obama, where they discussed immigration policy.
Of course this is the way public policy should be made. However, who are we to believe? The "get Democrats and Republicans agreeing," "finding common ground" Chaffetz who teaches we should "vote and pass that and move on to the next step?" Or the obstructionist Chaffetz who has joined with Sen. Mike Lee and others in digging in his heels and helping our president to create fiscal chaos? We need someone in Washington who will work to find "common ground" and then "vote and pass that and move to the next step." Rep. Chaffetz, will you and the rest of the Utah delegation in Washington please get to work and do your job?
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- In our opinion: A darkening cloud is hanging...
- Letters: Federal encroachment
- My view: People deserve rights at our borders
- Richard Davis: Airlines should do more for...
- Michael Gerson: Reinvigorating the GOP will...
- Snapshot of 2013 in political cartoons
- Timothy R. Clark: Graduation advice for my...
- Letters: Stop the witch hunt 35
- John Florez: Show leadership on... 31
- Letter: Media failure 25
- Letters: Threats justified 25
- Robert Bennett: Sticking to facts is... 23
- My view: People deserve rights at our... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 20
- In our opinion: Limit the power of the... 19