photos by Kenneth Mays, kenneth mays
Although he was not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Alexander Doniphan will ever be known as one of the great heroes found in the history of the church. His kindness and fairness to Joseph Smith and the Saints in Missouri should never be forgotten.
Doniphan met the Prophet while they were both young men. Doniphan and his law partner, David Atchison, were hired to defend the rights of the Latter-day Saints in court.
Doniphan assisted in the creation of a special county (Caldwell) in northwestern Missouri for the Mormons. He is best known for refusing to obey an order to shoot Joseph Smith and several others in the public square at Far West without a trial during the so-called Mormon-Missouri War.
The views seen here show a statue of Doniphan in Richmond, Ray County, Mo., and a site where his family had a home in Liberty, Clay County.
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Chinese group provides home for new LDS converts
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 14
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 7
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5