Meanwhile, Abbi Kleinschmidt and Jenni Harrington, who are liberal Democrats with a family farm on the pipeline route near Benedict, complain that a pipeline would undercut the fight against global warming.
"It's about awareness and acceptance of climate change," Sierra Club lawyer Ken Winston, of Lincoln.
Other landowners also worry about risks to the Ogalala aquifer, the vast underground shallow water table that is the state's primary water source.
Opponents have been approaching landowners to persuade them not to accept TransCanada's money to allow access. They are also holding meetings in towns along the route, airing television ads, mailing letters to the White House and trying to meet with members of Congress.
Last week, opponents who met at Thompson's house discussed the possibility of protesting the new route because it crosses land thought to contain Ponca Indian artifacts.
The variety of people in the group helps in brainstorming the campaign, they said.
"Being brought together really opened people's eyes. We're all more similar than we may have thought," said Zack Hamilton, a thick-bearded organic farmer.
But the obstacles to success have grown since the State Department's draft report on March 1 finding no evidence the pipeline would have significant environmental impact along its 1,700-mile run.
"We're going to fight this, to the very end if we have to," Thompson said.
Matthew Daly contributed from Washington. Follow Thomas Beaumont on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/TomBeaumont
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Intermountain Healthcare offering benefits to...
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view milestone;...
- Green energy option in Logan points to a need...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Start thinking about retirement while in your...
- Collecting online sales tax puts Utah...
- Dave Ramsey says: An emergency fund...
- Obama declares health care law is... 19
- Intermountain Healthcare offering... 15
- Start thinking about retirement while... 7
- Amazon's latest idea may make online... 6
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday... 5
- About Utah: A cheesy way to save the farm 4
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view... 4
- Collecting online sales tax puts Utah... 3