DALLAS — Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he is disappointed with how Derek Fisher left the team earlier this season, only to eventually end up signing with Oklahoma City last month.
The Mavericks faced Fisher and the Thunder on Sunday night, their first meeting since the 17th-year point guard asked Dallas to waive him in December.
"I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't contribute," Cuban said. "But that doesn't change what he did and how he did it. It's not so much what he did, but how he did it."
Fisher played nine games with Dallas before asking to be released because he said he was having a difficult time being away from his family in Los Angeles.
Fisher signed with the Thunder on Feb. 25, a little more than two months after the Mavericks granted his request to be waived.
Before Sunday's game, Cuban said he hoped Fisher would get booed. He got his wish when Fisher entered the game to a cold response from the fans with 1:45 left in the first quarter.
Mavericks fans then cheered loudly when Fisher picked up his first foul 10 seconds later.
Cuban said he had a sour taste in his mouth because Fisher called him multiple times asking for advice and pitched the owner for a job before the team signed him Nov. 29.
"Look, my personality is to try to help somebody," Cuban said. "Particularly somebody I thought one way about, even though it didn't turn out to be that way. I was just trying to be nice and help. Usually when you help somebody, you expect some semblance of loyalty back. So when you don't get it, it's more disappointing."
In his nine-game stay with the Mavericks, Fisher averaged 8.6 points and 3.4 assists before he left in the first quarter of his final game with a knee injury and was waived Dec. 22
This is Fisher's second stint with Oklahoma City.
Fisher won five NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers before getting traded to Houston last season, then buying his way out of his contract with the Rockets to sign with the Thunder.
He played in 20 regular-season games and then all 20 playoff games last season with Oklahoma City.
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- After last year's bowl loss, BYU seniors...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 69
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 60
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31