Mia Love looks toward next election, hires top Hatch strategist
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
In 2012, Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love lost to Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, by only one point, but with the hiring of former state GOP Chairman Dave Hansen, Love said she's starting early to get the ball rolling on the next election.
"We are looking at it very seriously," Love told CQ Roll Call Saturday. "We are trying to get people engaged and going, and let them know that we have to start early so that we are not starting from behind."
Hansen helped manage the re-election campaign of Sen. Orrin Hatch for the 2012 cycle.
"Hansen's challenge this time will be handling a competitive general election against a Blue Dog Democrat and veteran of difficult campaigns," Roll Call reporter Kyle Trygstad wrote. "Hansen said he is still evaluating consultants and, since Love won't be on the air next week, has not decided on a media team."
Love, who gained national attention as a speaker at the 2012 Conservative Political Action Conference and at the Republican National Convention, told Roll Call that she wants to makes sure she defines herself before the opposition does, and that she's entering this race with a different perspective.
"We have learned a lot from the campaign . . . and I am coming from experience now," Love said. "We were able to raise money, but it wasn't until the very end. So we're starting early and that's going to help."
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Roosevelt officer justified in shooting death...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 93
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 48
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 34
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 27
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13