Mia Love looks toward next election, hires top Hatch strategist
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
In 2012, Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love lost to Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, by only one point, but with the hiring of former state GOP Chairman Dave Hansen, Love said she's starting early to get the ball rolling on the next election.
"We are looking at it very seriously," Love told CQ Roll Call Saturday. "We are trying to get people engaged and going, and let them know that we have to start early so that we are not starting from behind."
Hansen helped manage the re-election campaign of Sen. Orrin Hatch for the 2012 cycle.
"Hansen's challenge this time will be handling a competitive general election against a Blue Dog Democrat and veteran of difficult campaigns," Roll Call reporter Kyle Trygstad wrote. "Hansen said he is still evaluating consultants and, since Love won't be on the air next week, has not decided on a media team."
Love, who gained national attention as a speaker at the 2012 Conservative Political Action Conference and at the Republican National Convention, told Roll Call that she wants to makes sure she defines herself before the opposition does, and that she's entering this race with a different perspective.
"We have learned a lot from the campaign . . . and I am coming from experience now," Love said. "We were able to raise money, but it wasn't until the very end. So we're starting early and that's going to help."
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Sandy man beat woman, tried to put her in an...
- Ex-Attorney General Mark Shurtleff pleads not...
- 10 Utahns charged in alleged identity theft...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 57
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 50
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 39
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 28
- Father, son used LDS Church membership... 27
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- 'No more red herrings' for Medicaid... 18
- Teenage girl bullied relentlessly gets... 13