Mia Love looks toward next election, hires top Hatch strategist
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
In 2012, Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love lost to Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, by only one point, but with the hiring of former state GOP Chairman Dave Hansen, Love said she's starting early to get the ball rolling on the next election.
"We are looking at it very seriously," Love told CQ Roll Call Saturday. "We are trying to get people engaged and going, and let them know that we have to start early so that we are not starting from behind."
Hansen helped manage the re-election campaign of Sen. Orrin Hatch for the 2012 cycle.
"Hansen's challenge this time will be handling a competitive general election against a Blue Dog Democrat and veteran of difficult campaigns," Roll Call reporter Kyle Trygstad wrote. "Hansen said he is still evaluating consultants and, since Love won't be on the air next week, has not decided on a media team."
Love, who gained national attention as a speaker at the 2012 Conservative Political Action Conference and at the Republican National Convention, told Roll Call that she wants to makes sure she defines herself before the opposition does, and that she's entering this race with a different perspective.
"We have learned a lot from the campaign . . . and I am coming from experience now," Love said. "We were able to raise money, but it wasn't until the very end. So we're starting early and that's going to help."
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- Officer, suspect taken to hospital following...
- Woman thanks rescuer who pushed her away from...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must solve...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 54
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 45
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32