Mia Love looks toward next election, hires top Hatch strategist
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
In 2012, Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love lost to Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, by only one point, but with the hiring of former state GOP Chairman Dave Hansen, Love said she's starting early to get the ball rolling on the next election.
"We are looking at it very seriously," Love told CQ Roll Call Saturday. "We are trying to get people engaged and going, and let them know that we have to start early so that we are not starting from behind."
Hansen helped manage the re-election campaign of Sen. Orrin Hatch for the 2012 cycle.
"Hansen's challenge this time will be handling a competitive general election against a Blue Dog Democrat and veteran of difficult campaigns," Roll Call reporter Kyle Trygstad wrote. "Hansen said he is still evaluating consultants and, since Love won't be on the air next week, has not decided on a media team."
Love, who gained national attention as a speaker at the 2012 Conservative Political Action Conference and at the Republican National Convention, told Roll Call that she wants to makes sure she defines herself before the opposition does, and that she's entering this race with a different perspective.
"We have learned a lot from the campaign . . . and I am coming from experience now," Love said. "We were able to raise money, but it wasn't until the very end. So we're starting early and that's going to help."
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11