LAS VEGAS — Sim Bhullar had 16 points, 15 rebounds and five blocked shots to lead New Mexico State to a 64-55 victory over UT Arlington on Saturday night for its second straight Western Athletic Conference championship.
Holding a 32-30 lead at halftime, New Mexico State used a 19-8 run to open its biggest lead of the game, going up 51-38 with 11:27 left in the game.
The Aggies earned an automatic berth into the NCAA tournament by staving off a furious rally by the Mavericks, who used Kevin Butler's 3-pointer from the top of the key with 10:17 left to key a 15-5 run and pull within three points with 1:55 left in the game.
Butler led the Mavericks with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48