LAS VEGAS — Sim Bhullar had 16 points, 15 rebounds and five blocked shots to lead New Mexico State to a 64-55 victory over UT Arlington on Saturday night for its second straight Western Athletic Conference championship.
Holding a 32-30 lead at halftime, New Mexico State used a 19-8 run to open its biggest lead of the game, going up 51-38 with 11:27 left in the game.
The Aggies earned an automatic berth into the NCAA tournament by staving off a furious rally by the Mavericks, who used Kevin Butler's 3-pointer from the top of the key with 10:17 left to key a 15-5 run and pull within three points with 1:55 left in the game.
Butler led the Mavericks with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 118
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 34
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21