MONTREAL — Patrice Bernier and Marco Di Vaio scored first-half goals and the Montreal Impact beat Toronto FC 2-1 on Saturday to improve to 3-0.
The Impact, who opened with wins in Seattle and Portland to match their total road victories last year, became the first Major League Soccer team to win three games this season.
Bernier scored 34 minutes in after Toronto's Ashtone Morgan fouled Andres Romero in the penalty area. Bernier, Montreal's MVP last season, hesitated on his penalty kick and sent Reds goalkeeper Joe Bendik diving to his right before putting the ball into an open right side. Di Vaio made it 2-0 just before the half. Davy Arnaud sent a ball forward for Di Vaio, who scooted around Bendik to score.
Robert Earnshaw scored on a penalty kick in the 68th minute for Toronto (1-2-0).
D.C. UNITED 0, RED BULLS 0: At Harrison, N.J., Bill Hamid made eight saves for D.C. United (1-1-1), including a diving save on Brandon Barklage's shot off a corner kick in stoppage time, which came close to crossing the goal line.
FIRE 0, SPORTING KANSAS CITY 0: At Kansas City, Kan., Chicago managed to earn its first point in three games this year despite remaining scoreless, tying Sporting Kansas City.
Chicago (0-2-1) looked poised to break its scoring drought when Dan Paladini got free in front of Sporting's goal in the 90th minute, but Jimmy Nielsen made the sliding save to preserve his first shutout of the year. Sporting (1-1-1) went scoreless on 20 shots in its home opener.
TIMBERS 1, SOUNDERS 1: At Seattle, Rodney Wallace came open in the penalty box and headed in the tying goal at the beginning of second-half stoppage time, and Portland came out of Seattle with the draw.
EARTHQUAKES 1, CREW 1: At Columbus, Ohio, Justin Morrow scored in the 74th minute to pull San Jose even with Columbus.
UNION 1, REVOLUTION 0: At Chester, Pa., Jack McInerney scored in the 76th minute for Philadelphia against New England in cold conditions. McInerney also scored the winning goal in the Union's last game, a 2-1 victory Sunday at Colorado.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- Aggie linebackers stick together in third...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 22
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 17
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 12