Portland took the Cascadia Cup a year ago thanks to a 2-1 win and 1-1 draw at home with Seattle and a late-season 1-0 win at Vancouver. Porter is looking forward to the experience, especially after the Timbers got just one point out of two home games to begin the MLS season.
"If you're looking at the past and the accomplishments of the Sounders, they're clearly the team that's favored," Porter said. "The nice thing is that the games aren't decided on the past, they're decided on what happens over the course of 90 minutes. And even though we haven't won there, I've never coached there and there's a lot of players on this team who have never been there in a Timbers uniform."
D.C. United at New York, 10:30 a.m.
Chicago at Sporting Kansas City, 1 p.m.
Toronto FC at Montreal, 2 p.m.
New England at Philadelphia, 3 p.m.
San Jose at Columbus, 3:30 p.m.
Colorado at Real Salt Lake, 4 p.m.
Portland at Seattle FC, 6 p.m.
Houston at FC Dallas, 11 a.m.
Chivas USA at Los Angeles, 3 p.m.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34