Although this column by Rev. Thomas Reece was written before Pope Francis was elected, its message remains relevant: Lessons Washington could learn from the conclave.
Reece, a senior fellow at Georgetown Universitys Woodstock Theological Center and commentator on contemporary Catholicism, summarizes the history of the conclave and why it produces results.
"The lesson is clear. If you want a budget, lock up the Congress, take away their cellphones and Internet, don't let them go to fund raisers, and if necessary put them on bread and water until they pass a budget. It has worked for hundreds of years in the Catholic Church, it might even work in Washington."
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Wright Words: Bad days are inevitable —...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 14
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5