I dont think theres any problem there, Reid said. Chase is a tremendous football player at a very important position. It wouldnt matter where he played (in college). I dont think thats a factor. Were very lucky to have him with us. You saw the great job he did in his role with New Orleans.
While Daniel appeared in 45 games with the Saints, most of that duty came while he was holding the ball on extra points and field goals. Just five of those appearances were at quarterback.
Reid indicated hes coveted Smith for years, going back to his time coaching the Philadelphia Eagles. He had inquired more than once about trading for Smith even then.
The 49ers, who benched Smith last season in favor of Colin Kaepernick, were more receptive to dealing Smith now that he was their backup.
He was somebody that if I had the chance, I would want him on my team, Reid said. When we did have a chance to bring him to Kansas City, Im very excited about that.
Hes run an offense very similar to ours, particularly the last couple of years. Hes done it at a very high level. You look at that part of it, the efficiency, the winning, which were all graded on hes got pluses in all of those areas.
Smith, 6 feet 4 and 217 pounds, turns 29 in May. He was the first pick of the draft by the 49ers in 2005 after two strong seasons as a college starter at Utah, but only in the last couple of seasons has he lived up to that promise. Repeated changes in offensive coordinators and systems set him back during his early years. He flourished only after Jim Harbaugh arrived as the 49ers head coach in 2011.
Smith was the NFLs top-rated passer last season before he was knocked out of the lineup because of a concussion in November against the St. Louis Rams. The 49ers stayed with Kaepernick even after Smith was cleared to return from the injury.
Smith said all of the ups and downs of his career have made him a better player.
Playing quarterback, you rely on everybody, Smith said. Everybody impacts you. I should know that better than anybody. Ive been through a lot. They all make a difference and it takes all of them to really makes things right.
Im ready for this because of what Ive gone through. You grow as a player, you grow as a person. Its a new opportunity for me, and I cant say how excited I am for it. Im ready to get going and make the most of it.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 39
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 23