Michele Mlinar, a bartender at Cangee's Bar and Grille in Herkimer, said Myers frequently went in and had a bottle or two of Coors Light and left without speaking to anyone. She said he was always alone and she didn't even know his name until police released his mug shot on Wednesday.
Cangee's owner Candy Rellin called Myers "just an odd little man."
The two villages are about 65 miles east of Syracuse on opposite sides of the Mohawk River — which connects the Erie Canal to the Hudson River and from there, the sea — in a region known as the Mohawk Valley.
Elizabeth Cirelli was shocked by Stefka's slaying. He was a neighbor in Herkimer.
"He was a great guy, a really nice person. This is horrific. We really couldn't believe it," she said.
Herkimer County Community College lifted a lockdown during the afternoon, and schools near the scene released students. D'Amico said most of the three-block neighborhood around the search scene was evacuated.
Herkimer is a village of 7,700 named for the German immigrant family that settled in the western Mohawk Valley in the 1720s. The economically distressed villages are 2 miles away from Ilion, where a 2-century-old Remington Arms gun plant is a major employer.
Associated Press writers Chris Carola and Mary Esch in Albany and Tom McElroy in New York contributed to this report.
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Student who sued parents to get them to...
- President Obama calls for a 'rethinking' on...
- In Ukraine's east, some beg for Russian iron...
- Deadline fast approaching for Affordable Care...
- States explore free community college
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks before...
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion...
- Senate Democrats choose election... 23
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 21
- Student who sued parents to get them to... 17
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming... 16
- President Obama calls for a... 15
- Obama economists: Rosier picture if... 14
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 12
- Utah among states wrestling with... 11