WASHINGTON — Working mothers increasingly want full-time jobs, and tough economic times might be a big reason, according to a national survey.
In the Pew Research Center study being released Thursday, researchers saw a big spike in the share of working mothers who said they'd prefer to work full time; 37 percent said that was their ideal, up from 21 percent in 2007.
The poll comes amid a national debate on women in the workplace ignited by top Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg, who writes in a new book about the need for women to be more professionally aggressive.
In "Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead," Sandberg argues that women have not made true progress in the workplace over the past decade and that they need to raise their hands more and "lean in" if they want to land more senior positions in corporate America.
The shift toward full-time work in the Pew poll, however, coincides with the recession and may have less to do with career ambitions than with financial realities.
Other poll findings
Roughly half of working mothers and fathers say they would rather be home with their children but work because they need the income.
Fifty-six percent of working mothers and 50 percent of working fathers say it's either very or somewhat difficult for them to balance work and family.
Forty percent of working mothers with children under 18 and 34 percent of working fathers say they always feel rushed.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Are extended warranties on gadgets worth the...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 106
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 29
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21