Bored Shorts TV (Kid History): The Roberts brothers grew up making home videos. However, each went their own way in their own careers before they ever posted to YouTube. It wasn't until Randy Roberts came to his brothers Brett and John, along with roommate Richard Sharrah, to help him film a short for a competition, that they decided to create Kid History.
"He entered the competition and won it, so we put it up on YouTube and it started getting a lot of views," John said. "We really didn't have any ambitions for it; we didn't even know that you could make money off of YouTube at the time."
Soon, Kid History began to grow and establish its own following.
"We kind of connected with some other YouTubers and they told us we should really capitalize on it and start creating videos more frequently and that we could turn it into a business," John Roberts said. "Eventually we hired some full-time people to help us out, and we got a studio, so now we're doing videos every week. It's been really fun."
Utah's unique community
This list is not a complete compilation of success stories from those in Utah, but it demonstrates the unique community Utah has established. Not only do Utubers share advice, but they have found success collaborating together. Shay Butler, from the YouTube channel Shaycarl, recently collaborated with Graham during his rope swing shoot. Stirling and The Piano Guys also collaborated on their Mission Impossible video.
But why Utah? Graham had a few theories on why the state has produced so many successful channels.
"A lot of people in Utah are very passionate about what they do," Graham said. "Another thing is it's kind of an addiction."
But according to Harmon, it's an addiction that makes sense.
"Why would you go after TV with that political messy world when you can just control and start your own cable television station?" Harmon said. "You're just your own boss and Google is going to continue to pay you as long as people watch."
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for the Faith and Family sections. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- The Clean Cut: Peewee football players dance...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- 30 questions to ask your kid instead of 'How...
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker performs tribute to...
- Teach your children to be coachable
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: To the mom who... 7
- Here’s a look at Disney’s... 5
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies... 4
- 5 amazing true stories of fate bringing... 3
- My view: Teenagers need environments... 3
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 3
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Your presence is... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2