Bored Shorts TV (Kid History): The Roberts brothers grew up making home videos. However, each went their own way in their own careers before they ever posted to YouTube. It wasn't until Randy Roberts came to his brothers Brett and John, along with roommate Richard Sharrah, to help him film a short for a competition, that they decided to create Kid History.
"He entered the competition and won it, so we put it up on YouTube and it started getting a lot of views," John said. "We really didn't have any ambitions for it; we didn't even know that you could make money off of YouTube at the time."
Soon, Kid History began to grow and establish its own following.
"We kind of connected with some other YouTubers and they told us we should really capitalize on it and start creating videos more frequently and that we could turn it into a business," John Roberts said. "Eventually we hired some full-time people to help us out, and we got a studio, so now we're doing videos every week. It's been really fun."
Utah's unique community
This list is not a complete compilation of success stories from those in Utah, but it demonstrates the unique community Utah has established. Not only do Utubers share advice, but they have found success collaborating together. Shay Butler, from the YouTube channel Shaycarl, recently collaborated with Graham during his rope swing shoot. Stirling and The Piano Guys also collaborated on their Mission Impossible video.
But why Utah? Graham had a few theories on why the state has produced so many successful channels.
"A lot of people in Utah are very passionate about what they do," Graham said. "Another thing is it's kind of an addiction."
But according to Harmon, it's an addiction that makes sense.
"Why would you go after TV with that political messy world when you can just control and start your own cable television station?" Harmon said. "You're just your own boss and Google is going to continue to pay you as long as people watch."
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for the Faith and Family sections. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video with The...
- Family walks from Disneyland to Disney World...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,...
- It's 'survival of the richest' in urban areas...
- She's still not getting paid for it, but...
- Erin Stewart: Celebrating the unique...
- The Clean Cut: 'Kid History' stars create...
- The Clean Cut: 'Apparently' Noah Ritter knows...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,... 7
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 6
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price... 6
- Britain's new princess can't expect... 5
- Parents, do your kids trust the... 5
- She's still not getting paid for it,... 5
- Your child may be talking to strangers,... 3
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video... 3