Ricardo Arduengo, AP
SANDY — Rio Tinto Stadium learned the times and opponents for its previously announced CONCACAF Gold Cup doubleheader on Wednesday morning, with the United States Men's National Team headlining the Saturday, July 13 event.
Jurgen Klinsmann's USA Gold Cup team — which could include multiple members of the Real Salt Lake roster — will play host to Cuba at 1:30 p.m. MT to open the Utah-based portion of the event. In the second of the two scheduled games, RSL's Alvaro Saborio's Costa Rica side will face Belize at 4 p.m.
"Events like the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup bring economic impact and international exposure to Utah," said Utah Sports Commission president and CEO Jeff Robbins. "The arrival of high-profile international soccer events such as this would not be possible without a world-class soccer-specific venue such as Rio Tinto Stadium, and is a continuing testament to the international sporting culture developed by the great fans of Real Salt Lake."
The Rio Tinto Stadium stop is the second of three group games for the United States, Costa Rica, Cuba and Belize, which kick off their tourney on Tuesday, July 9 in Portland, Ore., and continue on to Hartford, Conn., on Tuesday, July 16.
The 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup Final was awarded to the City of Chicago and Soldier Field, to be played on Sunday, July 28.
Tickets to all Gold Cup matches will be available to the general public starting on Thursday, March 21 at 10 a.m. (local time in all markets) by visiting www.GoldCup.org. Special pre-sales will be available starting Thursday, March 14 at many of the participating Gold Cup cities.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Brad Rock: Jazz's biggest star still waiting...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 59
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 51
- High school football: State tournament... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42