Water has surpassed soda as the most popular drink in the U.S. for the first time in more than 20 years. Huffington Post reports on the reasons behind the increased popularity of water.
"NEW YORK It wasn't too long ago that America had a love affair with soda. Now, an old flame has the country's heart.
"As New York City grapples with the legality of a ban on the sale of large cups of soda and other sugary drinks at some businesses, one thing is clear: soda's run as the nation's beverage of choice has fizzled.
"In its place? A favorite for much of history: Plain old H2O.
"For more than two decades, soda was the No. 1 drink in the U.S. with per capita consumption peaking in 1998 at 54 gallons a year, according industry tracker Beverage Digest. Americans drank just 42 gallons a year of water at the time.
"But over the years, as soda increasingly came under fire for fueling the nation's rising obesity rates, water quietly rose to knock it off the top spot.
"Americans now drink an average of 44 gallons of soda a year, a 17 percent drop from the peak in 1998. Over the same time, the average amount of water people drink has increased 38 percent to about 58 gallons a year. Bottled water has led that growth, with consumption nearly doubling to 21 gallons a year."
- Understanding love, handling conflict, other...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- After having a baby, dad's brain changes too
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he was...
- Want your marriage to last? Have another child
- Book review: 'Missionary Possible' encourages...
- Planned Parenthood alleges 'smear' in... 23
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 15
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 10
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 6
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 5
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5