Let me get this straight. Sen. Margaret Dayton (among others) with marching orders from the Eagle Forum, voted against Sen. Aaron Osmond's bill to provide voluntary pre-school programs for at risk children. She said, "3 and 4-year-old children belong at their mother's knee." On the planet those poor mothers inhabit, they likely work 60-80 hours a week at minimum wage to help feed and clothe those 3 and 4-year-olds. The same day, Utah legislators voted to opt out of the 100 percent federally funded ACA Medicaid expansion, which would cover 131,000 poor uninsured residents. These are folks who are victims of the pathetic free market health care system conservatives so proudly support.
Those same legislators are beneficiaries of a generous taxpayer paid health care benefit (for part-time work) which converts to lifetime state paid Medicare premiums at age 65, after 10 years of legislative service. So, is this how they practice compassionate, conservative Christian values? There could be no better definition of hypocrisy.
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the federal...
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize...
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the Union...
- Letter: Prison nonsense
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Letter: Could Draper shine, too?
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 21
- Letter: Pay for your share 21
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21