Let me get this straight. Sen. Margaret Dayton (among others) with marching orders from the Eagle Forum, voted against Sen. Aaron Osmond's bill to provide voluntary pre-school programs for at risk children. She said, "3 and 4-year-old children belong at their mother's knee." On the planet those poor mothers inhabit, they likely work 60-80 hours a week at minimum wage to help feed and clothe those 3 and 4-year-olds. The same day, Utah legislators voted to opt out of the 100 percent federally funded ACA Medicaid expansion, which would cover 131,000 poor uninsured residents. These are folks who are victims of the pathetic free market health care system conservatives so proudly support.
Those same legislators are beneficiaries of a generous taxpayer paid health care benefit (for part-time work) which converts to lifetime state paid Medicare premiums at age 65, after 10 years of legislative service. So, is this how they practice compassionate, conservative Christian values? There could be no better definition of hypocrisy.
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Letter: Greater security
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil drilling
- Letter: Our French Revolution
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith may be...
- John Florez: Lawmakers neglect their moral duty
- Jay Evensen: Here's why we should fear...