ALEX ESPINOZA, Wasatch, soccer: After an injury-riddled campaign kept him on the sideline most of last season, this former Deseret News 3A MVP is back with a vengeance in 2013.
Four games into the season, Espinoza has already scored six goals, including three against Spanish Fork last week. With the flashy Espinoza leading the way, the Wasps are off to a 4-0 start this season and ranked No. 1 in 3A.
During his sophomore season, Espinoza scored 21 goals and was named 3A MVP as he led the Wasps to the 3A state championship. Last year, though, he dealt with injuries and only scored four goals.
With the injury issues in the past, Espinoza looks poised to lead Wasatch back to the top of the 3A heap.
SHEA MARTINEZ, Davis High, track: Shea Martinez makes running look easy.
"She's just graceful and effortless, and it's so fun to watch her," said Davis head coach Corbin Talley. "It looks so easy for her."
And while the future BYU Cougar runner is unquestionably talented, she has achieved state and national championships because of the hard work she invests.
"She is tough and gutsy," Talley said. "She constantly pushes her limits in workouts and races."
Martinez ran the anchor leg of Davis' 4 x 800 at the New Balance Indoor Nationals this weekend and led them to a national title. Their time was the third fastest ever run in that event and the fastest in the country this year. She is a two-time 5A cross country state champion.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 66
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33