Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul held a good old-fashioned 13-hour filibuster last week against the nomination of John Brennan to head the CIA. The filibuster is what made Jimmy Stewart famous in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." It wouldn't have been as dramatic if the movie had lasted 13 hours.
Paul's filibuster demanded answers from the White House concerning whether drone strikes would be conducted against U.S. citizens in this country. Attorney General Eric Holder said he couldn't imagine ever doing such a thing. However, as the filibuster dragged on he may have been asking military officials if it was feasible to fly a drone into the Senate Chamber.
The auto company KIA made folks in Provo excited last week as it unveiled an experimental prototype sports car it called "The Provo." Turns out the Korean carmaker just wanted something short for "the provocative," which hardly describes Utah County's largest city.
If the company had really named a model after Provo, Utah, it probably would be a minivan with peanut butter and soda stains already ground into the upholstery and cup holders.
In a fit of common sense last week, the Transportation Safety Administration announced it will allow people to carry pocketknives aboard planes. They can even carry hockey sticks and mini baseball bats. With new protections in place, no one is going to bring down a plane with those things, officials said. Carry more than 3 ounces of water through security, however, and you're going down.
Former TSA chief Kip Hawley told CNN he supports the new knife policy. He thinks it should go much further, allowing people to carry machetes and battleaxes onboard. My luck, the guy with those things would sit next to me.
A guy with a machete may not be able to take over the flight, but I'll bet he gets to keep the whole soft drink can and gets extra peanuts if he wants.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- In our opinion: It's time for Utah to adopt a...
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do we care?
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- My view: Now is the time for significant...
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in religious...
- Dan Liljenquist: Predictions for the 2015...
- Family safety and vaccination concerns...
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 47
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 42
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in... 36
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 31
- Letter: Prison nonsense 29