LOGAN — Utah State men's basketball will be the fifth seed for the 2013 Western Athletic Conference Tournament and will play fourth-seeded UT Arlington on Thursday at 9:30 p.m. (MT) at the Orleans Arena at Las Vegas, Nev.
Thursday's game will not be televised, but will be aired on the radio and audio streamed online on the Aggie Sports Network by clicking on the "Listen Live" link on USU's website, www.UtahStateAggies.com, and also video streamed online by clicking on the "Watch Live" link on USU's website.
Utah State improved to 21-9 on the season and 11-7 in league play with its 71-51 win over UTSA on Saturday night and finishes conference action tied for fourth-place with UT Arlington (17-12, 11-7 WAC). The Aggies lost both regular-season meetings with the Mavericks, losing 74-68 on Jan. 24 in Logan and 61-46 on March 2 in Arlington.
USU is entering the WAC Tournament as the fifth seed for the first time in its eight seasons in the league, and the Aggies have an overall WAC Tournament record of 12-5 (.706), advancing to the championship game five times (2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011) in its first six years in the league, including winning the tournament championship in 2009 and 2011. Under head coach Stew Morrill, USU is 25-8 (.758) in postseason conference tournaments and has won six tournament championships (2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2011). During the last 13 years, USU has played in its conference's postseason tournament championship game 10 times.
The WAC Tournament championship game will tip-off on Saturday at 9 p.m. (MT), and will be televised on ESPNU.
UTAH STATE WOMEN: For the second-straight season, the Utah State women's basketball team will enter the Western Athletic Conference women's basketball tournament as the second seed, just behind regular season champion Seattle.
The second seed matches the best ever for Utah State as the Aggies earned the second seed last season.
The tournament begins in Las Vegas on Tuesday, with seventh-seeded Denver (13-16, 8-10 WAC) facing 10th-seeded Texas State (10-19, 4-14) at the Orleans Arena at 1 p.m. (MT). Eighth-seeded New Mexico State (14-15, 7-11 WAC) will take on ninth-seeded UT Arlington (7-22, 4-14 WAC) at 3:30 p.m. (MT).
Utah State (17-12, 14-4 WAC) will then take on the winner of the game between the Pioneers and the Bobcats on Wednesday, March 13 at 3:30 p.m. (MT). Utah State has never played either team in the WAC Tournament as this is the first season in the league for both squads.
Fans can contact the Orleans Box Office at 702-284-7777 or Toll Free at 1-888-234-2334 for all-session tickets, while single-game tickets can only be purchased the day of the game at the Orleans Box Office.
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- High school wrestling: Pleasant Grove dynasty...
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Morning links: Hayward becomes 'gaming...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 69
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 58
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39