Susan Walsh, Associated Press
A Deseret News editorial states that Wayne LaPierre uses a scare tactic by stating gun confiscations are on the liberal agenda ("Gun owners relax," March 6). It also states that although there are zealots that would like to see that happen, it just won't — so gun owners should relax.
The fact is, bans and confiscations do occur here in the USA. California banned and confiscated SKS semi-automatic rifles (after first requiring registration) and Ray Nagin went door-to-door confiscating guns after Hurricane Katrina. Several state legislatures are working on ban-and-confiscate bills. The Wall Street Journal reported that Colorado is hoping to pass ban bills. Missouri is working on a bill that would give gun owners 90 days to either turn in their "assault weapon" or prove they've removed them from the state.
Obama once told Jon Lott at the University of Chicago that he doesn't think anyone should be allowed to own a gun. He also recently told Democrats in Washington that if they don't support his wishes for the "assault weapons" ban, he will actively support their primary opponents in the next election, no matter who their opponent is. That to me is a scare tactic as well, and one scare tactic deserves another.
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot 'progress'...
- My view: Medicaid will sting Beehive State's...
- Letter: Moral decline
- Letter: My sons
- 19 songs to consider as replacements for the...
- Jay Evensen: U2's 'free' album highlights...
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Letter: Moral decline 87
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 65
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 55
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28
- In our opinion: Revisiting racial... 25