WEST VALLEY CITY — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 4-3 in overtime Friday evening at Maverik Center.
Utah collects a point in the standings to reduce its magic number to seven for clinching a sixth-straight playoff appearance. With San Francisco's loss at home to Alaska, Utah now leads the Bulls by seven points for the seventh spot in the Western Conference standings.
The Grizzlies took a 1-0 lead 3:32 into the first period as Gaelan Patterson and David Eddy raced up ice on a three-on-two and fed Tommy Maxwell for his second goal of the year. The play came off of a Colorado three-on-two that Utah broke up.
After killing five-straight minutes short-handed late in the first period and early in the second, Utah took a 2-0 lead 3:19 into the second period as David Eddy emerged from the penalty box and went straight toward the net, scoring on a breakaway short-handed for his second goal of the year.
Colorado made it 2-1 after a three-on-two rush in which Evan Stoflet clanged a post 9:35 into the second period.
Utah made it 3-1 with 4:47 left in the second period on a power play as Berkley Scott tipped in his second goal in two games and his fifth of the year on a shot by Cody Carlson. David Eddy picked up his third point of the night on the play.
Colorado came back with two goals in the third, the final coming on a five-on-three power play to tie the game at three. Utah killed the final 1:18 short-handed there and another penalty late in the third period to force overtime.
Michael Forney scored 15 seconds into the overtime to give Colorado the win.
Utah goaltender Adam Morrison stopped 40 of 44 shots to get Utah its standings point. It marked Morrison's second 40-plus save performance in the last three games.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 148
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27