WEST VALLEY CITY — The Colorado Eagles defeated the Utah Grizzlies 4-3 in overtime Friday evening at Maverik Center.
Utah collects a point in the standings to reduce its magic number to seven for clinching a sixth-straight playoff appearance. With San Francisco's loss at home to Alaska, Utah now leads the Bulls by seven points for the seventh spot in the Western Conference standings.
The Grizzlies took a 1-0 lead 3:32 into the first period as Gaelan Patterson and David Eddy raced up ice on a three-on-two and fed Tommy Maxwell for his second goal of the year. The play came off of a Colorado three-on-two that Utah broke up.
After killing five-straight minutes short-handed late in the first period and early in the second, Utah took a 2-0 lead 3:19 into the second period as David Eddy emerged from the penalty box and went straight toward the net, scoring on a breakaway short-handed for his second goal of the year.
Colorado made it 2-1 after a three-on-two rush in which Evan Stoflet clanged a post 9:35 into the second period.
Utah made it 3-1 with 4:47 left in the second period on a power play as Berkley Scott tipped in his second goal in two games and his fifth of the year on a shot by Cody Carlson. David Eddy picked up his third point of the night on the play.
Colorado came back with two goals in the third, the final coming on a five-on-three power play to tie the game at three. Utah killed the final 1:18 short-handed there and another penalty late in the third period to force overtime.
Michael Forney scored 15 seconds into the overtime to give Colorado the win.
Utah goaltender Adam Morrison stopped 40 of 44 shots to get Utah its standings point. It marked Morrison's second 40-plus save performance in the last three games.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45