MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — Freshman Sloan Storey posted her first career top-five effort and the University of Utah ski team improved to third place after the first day of Nordic competition during the NCAA Championships on Thursday at the Rikert Nordic Center.
Utah vaulted from fifth to third place and now boasts a total of 350 overall points after compiling 185 points in Thursday's 5/10-km Classical races, which stands fourth among the Nordic teams. In the overall team standings, the Utes trail second-place Colorado by 18.5 points, while reigning national champion Vermont has totaled 389 points.
Storey led a Ute women's Nordic crew that brought in 98 points thanks to all three of its competitors placing among the top 11. Storey, a Hailey, Idaho native, turned in a fifth-place finish, which was her first time among the top five this season. Out of the seven races she has competed in this year, Storey has had five performances among the top 10 and has been 20th or better in all seven events.
UTAH VALLEY BASEBALL: At Orem, the Wolverines scored 17 unanswered runs to defeat Nevada, 17-6, in the opener of a three-games series Thursday at Brent Brown Ballpark. Stone Ramsey had five RBIs, Kade Andrus drove in four runs and Court Zollinger had a four-hit night for the Wolverines (6-7) in their home opener.
BYU SOFTBALL: At Tampa, Fla., a three-run bottom of the fourth allowed the BYU softball team to defeat Maine, 6-4, in the first game of its double header on Thursday and the Cougars earned a 3-2 victory in the second game at the USF Softball Stadium.
WEBER STATE SOFTBALL: At Lakewood, Calif., the Wildcats lost twice at the Long Beach State Invitational, falling to UC Santa Barbara, 4-1, and Cal State Fullerton, 5-0.
SOUTHERN UTAH GYMNASTICS: Southern Utah University's Michaela Chernoch has been named the Western Athletic Conference Gymnast of the Week after garnering the top all-around score in the conference last week in a career-best 39.300 performance at Boise.
Chernoch captured the individual title in the all-around in addition to taking the top spot on beam with a career-best 9.875. The Naples, Fla. native was also the top finisher for the Thunderbirds on floor with a 9.875 to match a season-high on the event.
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE BASEBALL: At Taylorsville, the Bruins lost a pair of games to No. 7-ranked College of Southern Nevada. The Bruins fell 14-7 in the first game and 4-3 in the second game.
In the first game, sophomore catcher Bo Fisher was 2-for-4 with a double, a solo home run and three RBIs.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 38
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24