WASHINGTON — The State Department says Chinese activist and blogger Lu Haitao and his wife are in the United States.
Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland provided the confirmation but gave no details about the case. Citing department policy, she declined to comment on whether the pair had been granted asylum.
Lu and his wife have reportedly faced persecution in China. In an October 2011 blog, Lu reported being beaten up by authorities after he attempted to visit blind dissident Chen Guangcheng. Chen is self-taught lawyer who campaigned against forced abortions and for citizens' rights.
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8