WASHINGTON — The State Department says Chinese activist and blogger Lu Haitao and his wife are in the United States.
Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland provided the confirmation but gave no details about the case. Citing department policy, she declined to comment on whether the pair had been granted asylum.
Lu and his wife have reportedly faced persecution in China. In an October 2011 blog, Lu reported being beaten up by authorities after he attempted to visit blind dissident Chen Guangcheng. Chen is self-taught lawyer who campaigned against forced abortions and for citizens' rights.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Officials confirm first Ebola case diagnosed...
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7