WASHINGTON — The State Department says Chinese activist and blogger Lu Haitao and his wife are in the United States.
Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland provided the confirmation but gave no details about the case. Citing department policy, she declined to comment on whether the pair had been granted asylum.
Lu and his wife have reportedly faced persecution in China. In an October 2011 blog, Lu reported being beaten up by authorities after he attempted to visit blind dissident Chen Guangcheng. Chen is self-taught lawyer who campaigned against forced abortions and for citizens' rights.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe over...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 8
- It's not just young people —... 7