Celia Baker points out a serious problem in Utah's colleges: budget abuse ("College sports take funds from academics," Feb. 25). Football and basketball coaches should not be paid more than college presidents and the governor. With legislators talking about needing more money for primary and secondary schools, we should slash the higher-ed budgets and give that money to these programs. That would avoid more taxes and put the education money where it is needed the most.
Stephen T. Case
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 50
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10
- Radon, the unrecognized killer 10
- In our opinion: Legislators need to... 9