Runnin' Utes avenge themselves at home against the Beavers, win 72-61
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah appeared more than happy to return the blowout Oregon State previously gave the Runnin' Utes, defeating the Beavers in Salt Lake City, 72-61, Thursday night.
Utah was led by Jordan Loveridge, who scored 17 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Loveridge played particularly strong early, hitting two 3-point shots quickly and giving the Utes a lead they never relinquished. Loveridge also grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds for his first double-double in conference play.
Additionally, three other Utes scored in double figures: Jason Washburn, Jarred DuBois and Brandon Taylor. Taylor was particularly dangerous from 3-point range. Every one of the four shots he made were 3-pointers, and he shot 66 percent from range.
For their part, the Beavers had three players in double figures. They were led by their guard, Roberto Nelson, who scored 18 points on 6-for-13 shooting in 34 minutes of playing time.
Challe Barton also played well for the Beavers, going 5-for-6 from 3-point range to total 15 points, and Devon Collier was the third Oregon State player to score in double-figures on the night. Collier scored 10 points on 5-for-9 shooting.
This win for the Runnin' Utes helps to solidify their claim to the 10th spot in the upcoming Pac-12 tournament. Previously, Oregon State held that spot, but surrendered it to Utah with the loss.
The Deseret News provided live coverage of this game. Follow Deseret News Sports on Twitter for news on the next event for which the Deseret News will provide similar coverage.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21