Runnin' Utes avenge themselves at home against the Beavers, win 72-61
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Utah appeared more than happy to return the blowout Oregon State previously gave the Runnin' Utes, defeating the Beavers in Salt Lake City, 72-61, Thursday night.
Utah was led by Jordan Loveridge, who scored 17 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Loveridge played particularly strong early, hitting two 3-point shots quickly and giving the Utes a lead they never relinquished. Loveridge also grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds for his first double-double in conference play.
Additionally, three other Utes scored in double figures: Jason Washburn, Jarred DuBois and Brandon Taylor. Taylor was particularly dangerous from 3-point range. Every one of the four shots he made were 3-pointers, and he shot 66 percent from range.
For their part, the Beavers had three players in double figures. They were led by their guard, Roberto Nelson, who scored 18 points on 6-for-13 shooting in 34 minutes of playing time.
Challe Barton also played well for the Beavers, going 5-for-6 from 3-point range to total 15 points, and Devon Collier was the third Oregon State player to score in double-figures on the night. Collier scored 10 points on 5-for-9 shooting.
This win for the Runnin' Utes helps to solidify their claim to the 10th spot in the upcoming Pac-12 tournament. Previously, Oregon State held that spot, but surrendered it to Utah with the loss.
The Deseret News provided live coverage of this game. Follow Deseret News Sports on Twitter for news on the next event for which the Deseret News will provide similar coverage.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 86
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 42
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8