Cliff Owen, Associated Press
MSNBC writes about a Wednesday night discussion that Obama held over dinner with twelve Republican senators.
"Twelve Republican senators joined President Obama for dinner at the Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night in Washingtonan unusual social showing between the president and a party that has sought to block him at every turn over the last four years.
"Several of the senators spoke positively about the experience and reported being heartened by the presidents outreach.
"'I am more optimistic, just from a personal standpoint. Having been in the group of eight, its tough sledding,' said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. 'These are very difficult issues, but I do think theres a real fatigue in just going from crisis to crisis. But tonight was a good first step. A good step.'
'It was a good meal, it was a good experience,' added Sen. Tom Coburn on Thursdays Morning Joe.
The group discussed the fiscal fights over the budget, funding the government and raising the debt ceiling, as well as entitlement reform.
"Sen. Coburn highlighted the rarity of the event as a serious problem.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be stopped,...
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Officials confirm first Ebola case diagnosed...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 11
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7