Cliff Owen, Associated Press
MSNBC writes about a Wednesday night discussion that Obama held over dinner with twelve Republican senators.
"Twelve Republican senators joined President Obama for dinner at the Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night in Washingtonan unusual social showing between the president and a party that has sought to block him at every turn over the last four years.
"Several of the senators spoke positively about the experience and reported being heartened by the presidents outreach.
"'I am more optimistic, just from a personal standpoint. Having been in the group of eight, its tough sledding,' said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. 'These are very difficult issues, but I do think theres a real fatigue in just going from crisis to crisis. But tonight was a good first step. A good step.'
'It was a good meal, it was a good experience,' added Sen. Tom Coburn on Thursdays Morning Joe.
The group discussed the fiscal fights over the budget, funding the government and raising the debt ceiling, as well as entitlement reform.
"Sen. Coburn highlighted the rarity of the event as a serious problem.
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria
- Islamic State group kills captured Syrian...
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately at...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 43
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- 10 things to know about corporate... 29
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Mourners gather in St. Louis for Brown... 13