Cliff Owen, Associated Press
MSNBC writes about a Wednesday night discussion that Obama held over dinner with twelve Republican senators.
"Twelve Republican senators joined President Obama for dinner at the Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night in Washingtonan unusual social showing between the president and a party that has sought to block him at every turn over the last four years.
"Several of the senators spoke positively about the experience and reported being heartened by the presidents outreach.
"'I am more optimistic, just from a personal standpoint. Having been in the group of eight, its tough sledding,' said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. 'These are very difficult issues, but I do think theres a real fatigue in just going from crisis to crisis. But tonight was a good first step. A good step.'
'It was a good meal, it was a good experience,' added Sen. Tom Coburn on Thursdays Morning Joe.
The group discussed the fiscal fights over the budget, funding the government and raising the debt ceiling, as well as entitlement reform.
"Sen. Coburn highlighted the rarity of the event as a serious problem.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Navajo Generating Station, West's largest...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10