Cliff Owen, Associated Press
MSNBC writes about a Wednesday night discussion that Obama held over dinner with twelve Republican senators.
"Twelve Republican senators joined President Obama for dinner at the Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night in Washingtonan unusual social showing between the president and a party that has sought to block him at every turn over the last four years.
"Several of the senators spoke positively about the experience and reported being heartened by the presidents outreach.
"'I am more optimistic, just from a personal standpoint. Having been in the group of eight, its tough sledding,' said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. 'These are very difficult issues, but I do think theres a real fatigue in just going from crisis to crisis. But tonight was a good first step. A good step.'
'It was a good meal, it was a good experience,' added Sen. Tom Coburn on Thursdays Morning Joe.
The group discussed the fiscal fights over the budget, funding the government and raising the debt ceiling, as well as entitlement reform.
"Sen. Coburn highlighted the rarity of the event as a serious problem.
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Trial opens for Detroit officer who killed...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL concern
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- Ex-VA doctor: Phoenix report a 'whitewash'
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7