Cliff Owen, Associated Press
MSNBC writes about a Wednesday night discussion that Obama held over dinner with twelve Republican senators.
"Twelve Republican senators joined President Obama for dinner at the Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night in Washingtonan unusual social showing between the president and a party that has sought to block him at every turn over the last four years.
"Several of the senators spoke positively about the experience and reported being heartened by the presidents outreach.
"'I am more optimistic, just from a personal standpoint. Having been in the group of eight, its tough sledding,' said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. 'These are very difficult issues, but I do think theres a real fatigue in just going from crisis to crisis. But tonight was a good first step. A good step.'
'It was a good meal, it was a good experience,' added Sen. Tom Coburn on Thursdays Morning Joe.
The group discussed the fiscal fights over the budget, funding the government and raising the debt ceiling, as well as entitlement reform.
"Sen. Coburn highlighted the rarity of the event as a serious problem.
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney lost...
- Colorado Mormons join other faiths in...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias into gay...
- Men's Wearhouse fires founder and current...
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at Miss USA...
- Facebook goes down, users flood Twitter
- Cap'n Crunch refutes claims he's not actually...
- LeBron James helps Heat stave off Game 6...
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney... 65
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 56
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 24
- NSA director says surveillance programs... 20
- New York English teacher assigns... 18
- Officials: NSA programs broke terrorist... 16
- IRS official: Washington scrutinized... 15