Cliff Owen, Associated Press
MSNBC writes about a Wednesday night discussion that Obama held over dinner with twelve Republican senators.
"Twelve Republican senators joined President Obama for dinner at the Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night in Washingtonan unusual social showing between the president and a party that has sought to block him at every turn over the last four years.
"Several of the senators spoke positively about the experience and reported being heartened by the presidents outreach.
"'I am more optimistic, just from a personal standpoint. Having been in the group of eight, its tough sledding,' said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. 'These are very difficult issues, but I do think theres a real fatigue in just going from crisis to crisis. But tonight was a good first step. A good step.'
'It was a good meal, it was a good experience,' added Sen. Tom Coburn on Thursdays Morning Joe.
The group discussed the fiscal fights over the budget, funding the government and raising the debt ceiling, as well as entitlement reform.
"Sen. Coburn highlighted the rarity of the event as a serious problem.
- Riots in Baltimore over man's death in police...
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may...
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- Tuesday's the day: Same-sex marriage...
- Benefits of HPV vaccine can be seen in high...
- Supreme Court hears historic same-sex...
- Nepal troops ready aid for remote quake-hit...
- Can mobile homes save home ownership?
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 60
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 29
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 23
- Supreme Court hears historic same-sex... 18
- Clinton Foundation acknowledges... 17
- Clinton Foundation admits missteps in... 16
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 14