Cliff Owen, Associated Press
MSNBC writes about a Wednesday night discussion that Obama held over dinner with twelve Republican senators.
"Twelve Republican senators joined President Obama for dinner at the Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night in Washingtonan unusual social showing between the president and a party that has sought to block him at every turn over the last four years.
"Several of the senators spoke positively about the experience and reported being heartened by the presidents outreach.
"'I am more optimistic, just from a personal standpoint. Having been in the group of eight, its tough sledding,' said Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb. 'These are very difficult issues, but I do think theres a real fatigue in just going from crisis to crisis. But tonight was a good first step. A good step.'
'It was a good meal, it was a good experience,' added Sen. Tom Coburn on Thursdays Morning Joe.
The group discussed the fiscal fights over the budget, funding the government and raising the debt ceiling, as well as entitlement reform.
"Sen. Coburn highlighted the rarity of the event as a serious problem.
- Some countries get Obama, but want his wife, too
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew...
- Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Ride-sharing business launches despite...
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 31
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 28
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- Police: Student ate more pot than... 19
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who... 16